How to send email

Sean Liu

Sep 16, 2013, 10:20:57 PM9/16/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am new to django-oscar, just want to send registration email out. How do I configure?
anyone have any docs on django-oscar email settings?

Kind regards,
Sean

Bashar

Sep 16, 2013, 10:27:20 PM9/16/13
to django...@googlegroups.com

http://django-oscar.readthedocs.org/en/latest/ref/settings.html

--
https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar
http://django-oscar.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

Sean Liu

Sep 16, 2013, 10:35:20 PM9/16/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
Sorted out myself.
Just figured out sending reg email, by adding some email parameters in the settings.py,
but still, a more detailed email manual is appreciated.

Cheers, Sean

Maik Hoepfel

Sep 18, 2013, 5:17:02 AM9/18/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
We recently added some documentation there:

http://django-oscar.readthedocs.org/en/latest/howto/how_to_customise_oscar_communications.html

But I agree that it's still lacking. We want to consolidate Oscar's notifications, and while that ticket has been around for a while, it's becoming more likely to get adressed after the release of Oscar 0.6.
https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar/issues/319

And as always, please share any insights you have via pull requests to the documentation!

Regards,

Maik

Andrew Pipes

Sep 19, 2013, 5:02:23 PM9/19/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maik

Can you suggest the recommended way to - upon an order being placed - send an email to the fulfilment partner (or other admins) with the order details, not just the customer?

It's not clear from the documentation how to complete the end-to-end order fulfilment communications - this might be a useful update to the documentation.

best regards, Andy

Andrew Pipes

Sep 19, 2013, 6:39:27 PM9/19/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
Maik, here's what I am thinking about doing: using signals within an overridden models.py of an order app, as so:

from django.db import models
from oscar.apps.order.signals import order_placed
from oscar.apps.checkout.signals import post_checkout
from oscar.apps.order.abstract_models import AbstractOrder

class Order(AbstractOrder):

    # signal receiving method to send email to fulfilment partner
    def send_fulfilment_request(sender, **kwargs):
        order = kwargs['instance']
        # ...send email...

    order_placed.connect(send_fulfilment_request, order=self, user=self.user)

# add import statement at the end, so that django imports overridden model names first
from oscar.apps.order.models import *

Maik - is this the way that you would implement email comms for an order? I have to say, I'm a bit lost. Perhaps some better documentation of the order processing.py module would be good. I am just mimicking here what the analytics receiver functions do.

thanks Andy

Maik Hoepfel

Oct 22, 2013, 2:48:12 AM10/22/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andy,

your suggestion looks perfectly fine to me. I personally haven't looked
into custom notifications, but would've done it quite similar I think.
The docs are also a bit lacking because we intend to refactor the
different bits of where Oscar communicates into one unified app (there's
a ticket for it).

Just as a side note, I'm not a fan of blocking views to send send
emails. I've filed a ticket here:
https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar/issues/662, and just had
some more thoughts I will add there.

Hope that helps,

Maik
> --
> https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar
> http://django-oscar.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
> https://twitter.com/django_oscar
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-oscar/b0178f4b-7b4d-4571-8dd6-df11291724af%40googlegroups.com.

femi ogundayo

Aug 19, 2015, 7:18:18 AM8/19/15
to django-oscar
Hi just a quick one were you able to implement this functionality? and did it affect any of the other views.

Rajat Singhal

Jun 19, 2017, 3:21:26 AM6/19/17
to django-oscar
Hi Sean Liu
Can you please help me on how shall I send the email,
I have setup the OSCAR_FROM_EMAIL = 'my email'
EMAIL_BACKEND = 'django.core.mail.backends.console.EmailBackend'

But all I'm seeing is the email in the terminal.
How can I send the Email?
Do I need to give the password for my email?
If yes, then where and how will those settings go?
Or shall I set the EMAIL_BACKEND to 'smtp' ? Please help me with all the settings