What is the absolute minimum oscar install?

Paul Hummer

Feb 16, 2015, 4:01:38 PM2/16/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi all-

  We've got an existing site with many features that Oscar implements, but they don't have _near_ the flexibility that oscar has, and so we're hoping to migrate to using oscar for those things. Rather than using `get_apps` in our `INSTALLED_APPS`, I'd like to install the absolute minimum of Oscar, and build from there, integrating things as needed.  If I were to do that, what's the absolute minimum I can get away with? For instance, do I really need vouchers and wishlists, even if we aren't planning on using that functionality?

  We're hoping to basically use just the modeling and the admin interface, and then integrate the modelling into our existing flows. I suspect we'll need `ProductClass`, `Product` (and probably something like the `ProductContributor` or something to link with our dynamic content). I think we'll also want to use the Cart and checkout flows, but other than that, I can't imagine venturing too much into oscar for now (though we'll want vouchers and wishlists and giftcards in the future).

  Could you provide some guidance on how to integrate that minimum oscar? The docs mostly speak to setting up new sites that don't have much business logic, and are strictly e-commerce sites, so integrating into an existing site seems to be a common but undocumented thing.

Cheers,
Paul

Maik Hoepfel

Feb 26, 2015, 10:58:32 AM2/26/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

I'm afraid we currently don't really support a plug-and-play model with Oscar apps. While the apps are reasonably decoupled because of architectural concerns, we can't recommend removing some of them.

It's not the first time this has been raised, but it would further complicate matters and so far, there hasn't been any sufficient pain for anybody to go fix it. Usually including all apps doesn't trigger any problems; just disable URLs as needed.

Integrations like this are indeed commonplace.

Regards,

Maik

--
https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar