settings.py must be populated

Josh Juneau

Mar 12, 2009, 9:24:24 AM3/12/09
to django-j...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone tried to run the server without populating settings.py
first? Each time I try to do so, I receive the following error.
Simply populating settings.py with appropriate values takes care of
the issue, but maybe we need to write this up somewhere?

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "manage.py", line 4, in <module>
import settings # Assumed to be in the same directory.
at org.python.objectweb.asm.ClassReader.readClass(Unknown Source)
at org.python.objectweb.asm.ClassReader.accept(Unknown Source)
at org.python.objectweb.asm.ClassReader.accept(Unknown Source)
at org.python.core.APIReader.<init>(APIReader.java:33)
at org.python.core.imp.readCode(imp.java:119)
at org.python.core.imp.createFromPyClass(imp.java:93)
at org.python.core.imp.loadFromSource(imp.java:474)
at org.python.core.imp.find_module(imp.java:382)
at org.python.core.imp.import_next(imp.java:585)
at org.python.core.imp.import_name(imp.java:685)
at org.python.core.imp.importName(imp.java:745)
at org.python.core.ImportFunction.__call__(__builtin__.java:1327)
at org.python.core.PyObject.__call__(PyObject.java:256)
at org.python.core.__builtin__.__import__(__builtin__.java:1298)
at org.python.core.__builtin__.__import__(__builtin__.java:1280)
at org.python.core.imp.importOne(imp.java:756)
at org.python.pycode._pyx0.f$0(manage.py)
at org.python.pycode._pyx0.call_function(manage.py)
at org.python.core.PyTableCode.call(PyTableCode.java:199)
at org.python.core.PyCode.call(PyCode.java:14)
at org.python.core.Py.runCode(Py.java:1187)
at org.python.util.PythonInterpreter.execfile(PythonInterpreter.java:155)
at org.python.util.jython.run(jython.java:226)
at org.python.util.jython.main(jython.java:113)

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException:

Josh Juneau
june...@gmail.com
http://jj-blogger.blogspot.com
http://www.gathereventplanning.com
Twitter ID: javajuneau

Leo Soto M.

Mar 12, 2009, 2:09:38 PM3/12/09
On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Josh Juneau <june...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone tried to run the server without populating settings.py
> first?  Each time I try to do so, I receive the following error.
> Simply populating settings.py with appropriate values takes care of
> the issue, but maybe we need to write this up somewhere?
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "manage.py", line 4, in <module>
>    import settings # Assumed to be in the same directory.

Wow, you have hit <http://bugs.jython.org/issue1262>, which is the
most obscure django-related bug I've seen. Unfortunately, I haven't
been "lucky" enough to reproduce it, so any hint on that would help a
lot.

Regards,
--
Leo Soto M.
http://blog.leosoto.com

Josh Juneau

Mar 12, 2009, 3:31:06 PM3/12/09
to django-j...@googlegroups.com
Leo-

I feel *lucky* to have reproduced such an odd one here. Maybe it has
something to do with the Mac OS because I saw that one of the
individuals on the issue log was using a Mac as well. I will try to
delete the class files and see if I can get django to run at that
point. I wonder if this isn't also part of the other issue I wrote to
the list about?

Anyways, I simply created a new project and then tried to run the
server to see if it worked. My goal was to test with 2.5b3, and I ran
into this issue. However, when I tried to go to an earlier version of
Jython the same thing happened.

I'll be in touch once I have a chance to try and remove the class
files and I'll tell you if that resolves it.

Leo Soto M.

Mar 12, 2009, 3:45:30 PM3/12/09
On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Josh Juneau <june...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Leo-
>
> I feel *lucky* to have reproduced such an odd one here.  Maybe it has
> something to do with the Mac OS because I saw that one of the
> individuals on the issue log was using a Mac as well.

Just for the record: If it turns to be the case, I have absolutely no
problem is someone donates me a Mac to reproduce the problem ;-)

Josh Juneau

Mar 13, 2009, 10:22:51 AM3/13/09
to django-j...@googlegroups.com
Leo-

Deleting the class files works. This seems like a Jython issue...unfortunately.

Unfortunately, I don't have an extra Mac to spare right now...but I
see that there are some nice new Macs that were just released! ; )