remove old SVN branches from git repository?

Tim Graham

Feb 24, 2016, 10:45:44 AM2/24/16
Will anyone miss these branches if we remove them from the repository? I presume they've all either been merged or are so outdated that there isn't value in keeping them.

attic/boulder-oracle-sprint
attic/full-history
attic/generic-auth
attic/gis
attic/i18n
attic/magic-removal
attic/multi-auth
attic/multiple-db-support
attic/new-admin
attic/newforms-admin
attic/per-object-permissions
attic/queryset-refactor
attic/schema-evolution
attic/schema-evolution-ng
attic/search-api
attic/sqlalchemy
attic/unicode
soc2009/admin-ui
soc2009/http-wsgi-improvements
soc2009/i18n-improvements
soc2009/model-validation
soc2009/multidb
soc2009/test-improvements
soc2010/app-loading
soc2010/query-refactor
soc2010/test-refactor

Shai Berger

Feb 24, 2016, 3:12:19 PM2/24/16
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I think having this history is of value; I had reason to look into the
boulder-oracle-sprint branch only a couple of years ago.

If they're a nuisance, I suggest that we clone the Django repo into another
one under the django organization -- say, "django-historical-branches" --
before removing them from the main repo.

Shai.

Florian Apolloner

Feb 24, 2016, 3:36:53 PM2/24/16

On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 9:12:19 PM UTC+1, Shai Berger wrote:
If they're a nuisance, I suggest that we clone the Django repo into another
one under the django organization -- say,  "django-historical-branches" --
before removing them from the main repo.

I was about to suggest the same :D

Tim Graham

Feb 24, 2016, 3:46:39 PM2/24/16
They're already in everyone's forks too unless you delete them. Not sure if deleting them from the main repo would delete them for all forks too.

Shai Berger

Feb 24, 2016, 4:10:29 PM2/24/16
On Wednesday 24 February 2016 22:46:38 Tim Graham wrote:
> They're already in everyone's forks too unless you delete them.

True, but I think we should keep them accessible under the project roof.

Shai.

Markus Holtermann

Feb 24, 2016, 7:13:55 PM2/24/16
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to keep them around somewhere. Even if it's just a wiki page
which links to the last commits of each branch.

When you have a local checkout of a brach that checkout is staying even
if the branch is removed on a remote. Also your local references to
remote branches are kept unless you call `git remote prune upstream`.
The branches in the remotes should still be available.

/Markus
>--

signature.asc

Tim Graham

Mar 7, 2016, 11:06:34 AM3/7/16
I see these branches are documented: https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/git/#feature-development-branches. In reading that I saw the mention about a grafts file. I don't entirely understand what that does but when I was reading about it, I saw "As of Git 1.6.5, the more flexible git replace has been added." I don't know if that might allow deleting the branches? Anyway, if anyone wants to take some action here that's okay with me as I'm not really motivated to invest any more time than clicking "delete branch" which apparently isn't acceptable at this time.