moving the class-based View base class out of django.views.generic?

Tim Graham

Sep 22, 2015, 10:41:48 AM9/22/15

Class-based view users, does this proposal from https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/25385 seem like a good one?

---

Whenever I talk about class-based views and how their concept is separate from generic views (typically in a class setting), the question I am asked is invariably: if they are different, why do we import View from django.views.generic?

To help developers better avoid confusion and better separate the concepts, I would like to change the import of the View class. Ideally:

from django.views import View

I would furthermore like to move View from the generic directory into it's own module.

John Paulett

Sep 22, 2015, 10:53:50 AM9/22/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Definitely seems like a good idea to me.  Even as a frequent CBV user, it always takes me a few seconds to remember to import from generic.

John Paulett

Tom Christie

Sep 22, 2015, 10:58:08 AM9/22/15
Yup, I think that's a good proposal.

Marc Tamlyn

Sep 22, 2015, 11:23:33 AM9/22/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
The idea has been discussed before and was rejected as needless code churn if I remember correctly. I'm afraid I can't remember when or where this discussion happened, it could have been an in person one at a sprint, I can't immediately find a record on this mailing list. Perhaps the fact it's come up again makes it more significant (and we can always keep the import shim).

FWIW, I am +0, I can see the reasoning but in my opinion we have worse import paths (conf.urls and core.urlresolvers anyone?)

On 22 September 2015 at 15:58, Tom Christie <christ...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yup, I think that's a good proposal.

Collin Anderson

Sep 22, 2015, 1:07:20 PM9/22/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Could we have permanent backward-compatible (no deprecation timeline) shims? I'm -0 if not because it's yet-another thing that everyone needs to change when upgrading.

Josh Smeaton

Sep 22, 2015, 7:06:48 PM9/22/15
Could we have permanent backward-compatible (no deprecation timeline) shims? I'm -0 if not because it's yet-another thing that everyone needs to change when upgrading.

+1

Russell Keith-Magee

Sep 22, 2015, 8:09:14 PM9/22/15
to Django Developers
That would be my preferred approach, too.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Paulo Gabriel Poiati

Sep 27, 2015, 1:57:33 PM9/27/15