deprecate contrib.webdesign? (#22789)

Tim Graham

Jul 11, 2014, 11:06:24 AM7/11/14
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

It provides the lorem template tag. The functionality has not changed in 7 years and it has 20 commits in its history which are mostly maintenance oriented (pep8, adding app loading compatibility).

* Move it into the main template tag library and deprecate the hook in contrib.

* Remove it from Django and provide no replacement (let the community maintain it somewhere).

* Remove it from Django and maintain it as a separate project under (django/django).

* Your idea here

thoughts on deprecating it from 2011 mailing list thread:

Carl: +1

Paul M: +0 on webdesign, since it's functionality that's probably in transient use by the more invisible members of our community.

Markus G: I'd miss it even though it's just a tiny piece of code and trivial, it's quite useful when you mock up a site and thus need some text to get a feeling for its layout when there's lots of text involved. I am sure, as you say, there are quite a few people out there who would miss it too.

Gabriel: As for webdesign, why not roll the one piece in it (the marginally-useful lorem tag) into the main library and deprecate the hook in contrib?

Aymeric Augustin

Jul 11, 2014, 11:19:49 AM7/11/14
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

> It provides the lorem template tag. The functionality has not changed in 7 years and it has 20 commits in its history which are mostly maintenance oriented (pep8, adding app loading compatibility).

So it's stable, not prone to recurring bug reports, and a negligible concern for maintenance.

> * Move it into the main template tag library and deprecate the hook in contrib.

That would de-clutter the django.contrib namespace, de-emphasize the feature, with minimal backwards-compatibility concerns — just remove django.contrib.webdesign from INSTALLED_APPS.

The lorem ipsum generator could live in django/utils.

--
Aymeric.

Tomas Ehrlich

Jul 11, 2014, 11:32:21 AM7/11/14
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I would vote for:
Remove it from Django and provide no replacement

I almost never use original latin lorem-ipsum because
language specific dummy-text provides much better and reliable look.

I feel that removing the package from django.contrib and keeping it as
third-party package (maintained either by community or django core dev)
would be easier for maintenance and pull-requests.

Cheers,
Tom

Dne Fri, 11 Jul 2014 08:06:24 -0700 (PDT)
Tim Graham <timog...@gmail.com> napsal(a):

> It provides the lorem template tag. The functionality has not changed in 7
> years and it has 20 commits in its history which are mostly maintenance
> oriented (pep8, adding app loading compatibility).

> * Move it into the main template tag library and deprecate the hook in
> contrib.
>
> * Remove it from Django and provide no replacement (let the community
> maintain it somewhere).
>
> * Remove it from Django and maintain it as a separate project under
> (django/django).
>
> * Your idea here
>

> thoughts on deprecating it from ​2011 mailing list thread
> <https://groups.google.com/d/topic/django-developers/P_WMxmOCJFY/discussion>
> :

Daniele Procida

Jul 11, 2014, 11:40:47 AM7/11/14
On Fri, Jul 11, 2014, Tim Graham <timog...@gmail.com> wrote:

>It provides the lorem template tag. The functionality has not changed in 7
>years and it has 20 commits in its history which are mostly maintenance
>oriented (pep8, adding app loading compatibility).

As long as it's not getting in anyone's way, and is not imposing a maintenance burden, I would simply leave it alone as much as possible.

There's bound to be someone who loves it dearly and uses it regularly. Let's not spoil their day!

Daniele

Russell Keith-Magee

Jul 11, 2014, 6:57:51 PM7/11/14
to Django Developers
+1 to this.

We needed to remove contrib.markup because it was becoming a maintenance burden because flaws in downstream libraries were opening flaws in Django core. *That* is a good reason to excise code; a vestigial module that isn't getting in anyone's way might as well stay where it is.

Russ %-)

Tim Graham

Jul 12, 2014, 10:11:55 AM7/12/14
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Okay, then I'm in favor of moving it to built-in tags as Aymeric suggested.