Okay to use form field labels in admin history?

Tim Graham

Aug 24, 2015, 7:48:55 PM8/24/15
Do you like the idea to use form field labels in the admin history messages instead of the form field names themselves?

It's been implemented here:
https://github.com/django/django/pull/5169

One consideration is that the messages are generated/stored in the current language so this could increase confusion in multilingual environments until this issue is addressed:
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/21113

I'm not sure if we should block the current pull request on that ticket or not.

Claude Paroz

Aug 25, 2015, 3:16:51 AM8/25/15

I think that the correct way would be to fix #21113 first. Having transated content in the database looks like a bad idea in the first place.

Claude

Ramez Ashraf

Aug 25, 2015, 11:07:45 AM8/25/15
Dear devs
I'm the PR mentioned contributor.
While I understand your concern about translated content in the database and the other ticket mentioned (having the info stored as Json or yaml)
I see that these are different ways and are not mutually exclusive.
The issue mentioned regards having multiple supported languages, while what the PR is solving is the simple "not english " site + the idea of having a customized label or clear verbose name instead of the current field name.

IMHO, I think this pull is a step forward. And when the issue mentioned is solved in an enhancement of the log structure, the old structure will continue to exist for backword compatibility.

I call -if I may- a reconsideration. :)

Last, I'm making extensive use of the admin in my work.. Hopefully I'll be around contributing in it.

Kind regards

Tim Graham

Aug 26, 2015, 9:34:31 AM8/26/15
The current approach has worked "well enough" for 10 years. I think we can wait a little longer for a better solution rather than change the message format twice. Want to give it a try?

Ramez Ashraf

Aug 26, 2015, 9:25:58 PM8/26/15
Yes it worked well enough for over then it should be.
So yes i would love to give it a try.

So we will be storing json as string in the database? or what would be the recommended path to go about this ?!