Request for help: building a docker/vagrant platform for running Django's test suite

Tim Graham

Apr 17, 2015, 7:27:17 PM4/17/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
In 2012, Julien Phalip started the djangocore-box project [1]: "A virtual machine for running the Django core test suite with every supported version of Python, every supported database backend and other dependencies." Unfortunately, the project hasn't seen an update in a year and a half, and I think we should take a different approach than the current one of chef & vagrant to reflect today's best practices.

We have some private Ansible playbooks for bootstrapping the Jenkins continuous integration servers, and I believe these could be adapted for use with Vagrant, Docker, or something else (let's discuss the best solution; I'm not an expert) to create a successor to djangocore-box. I would like a knowledgeable person who has time and interest to take the lead on this and I could work with you based on my experience with Jenkins. Feedback welcome!

[1] https://github.com/jphalip/djangocore-box

Shai Berger

Apr 18, 2015, 12:45:06 PM4/18/15
On Saturday 18 April 2015 02:27:17 Tim Graham wrote:
> I would like a knowledgeable person who has time and interest to take the
> lead on this and I could work with you based on my experience with Jenkins.
> Feedback welcome!

I am not an expert on any of the tech involved, I just wanted to point out
that, when we go there, we can include Oracle with this dockerfile[2].

Shai.

[2] https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/wnameless/oracle-xe-11g/

Kevin Glavin

Apr 19, 2015, 8:54:12 AM4/19/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

I have been using Docker, Vagrant, and Jenkins for a while now independently. Would love to help out with this effort.

Feel free to reach out to me privately if you'd like to continue the discussion.

John Giannelos

Apr 21, 2015, 1:00:46 PM4/21/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

I would also be interested to contribute to this effort.
Is there a ticket/github issue to track it?

Best,
John

Tim Graham

Apr 21, 2015, 1:25:55 PM4/21/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

Kevin and I are going to chat about it tonight. I'll keep this thread updated with ours plans and progress.

Tim

Tommy Beadle

Apr 21, 2015, 2:09:37 PM4/21/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I have a decent amount of Docker experience.  Doing something like this definitely sounds like a reasonable thing to do with Docker.  I'd be willing to help out.

Grace and Peace,
Tommy B.

I want to live like I know what I'm leaving.
--Switchfoot, "Awakening"

Micah Hausler

Apr 22, 2015, 12:46:22 PM4/22/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I've had a bit of experience with Docker and docker-compose (formerly fig), as I wrote the RST docs for docker-py, then reformatted them to MD. (https://github.com/docker/docker-py/commits?author=micahhausler)

I also wrote a container transformation library for converting docker-compose files to AWS ECS task.json files. https://github.com/ambitioninc/container-transform

I think docker-compose could be a great fit for this, I'd be happy to help out.

-Micah Hausler

Kevin Glavin

Apr 22, 2015, 12:55:17 PM4/22/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com, django-d...@googlegroups.com
Thank you everyone for your interest. I spoke with Tim last night to start piecing together the strategy. The gameplan on my end is to start a repo that we can all work from and (in)formally define the high level strategy. I'll enter any work items as issues on the github repo and share the link once I have it configured. I will seed the repo with a container or two for examples of what we're trying to accomplish and we can work together from there.

Sent from Mailbox

Florent Pastor

Apr 23, 2015, 7:12:16 AM4/23/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
That's an interesting project, good luck and keep us posted :)

Pradeek J

May 2, 2015, 6:15:32 AM5/2/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Any updates on this? I also want to take a crack at this and think its best to not duplicate efforts. Let me know how I can pitch in.

Kevin Glavin

May 2, 2015, 2:04:31 PM5/2/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com, django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Working on getting the repo baselined and pushed to github this weekend. Had a hellacious past week. Will provide the URL ASAP.

Sent from Mailbox

Kevin Glavin

May 10, 2015, 12:02:54 PM5/10/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Later than expected, but here we go folks: https://github.com/archen/django-tests

There are some barebones instructions for contributing and direction. Feel free to reach out to me directly for any assistance or questions so I can better document the process for anyone else interested in helping out.

I think I've captured all of the pending work items in the issues list for the github repo. I'm going to take on the Postgres and Django test containerization issues. Postgres can be used as the example for all of the other service containerization issues.