Official Projects DEP

Andrew Godwin

Jun 8, 2016, 4:35:15 PM6/8/16
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I've started on an "official projects" process DEP as I discussed here a while back, to formalise the process of adopting non-core packages as repositories under the official Django organisation, with a view to taking Channels on this route (and hopefully including the existing localflavor under this too).

Pull request is up here: https://github.com/django/deps/pull/23 - comments welcome.

Andrew

Andrew Godwin

Jun 10, 2016, 3:01:23 AM6/10/16
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Just to update on this, there was some good feedback on the draft for writing and clarity, and it's now made it into an official draft, located here: https://github.com/django/deps/blob/master/draft/0007-official-projects.rst

If you'd like to read through the draft and raise discussion points or opinions on the plan, now is the time!

Andrew

Tim Graham

Jun 11, 2016, 8:59:33 PM6/11/16

Hi Andrew,

Here's my 2 cents:

1. It might be nice if projects had more than one shepherd so there's not a single point of failure. Of course, if all members of the maintenance team end up joining the team, then there's no issue.

2. Re: "The main project documentation does not have to be hosted inside the main Django documentation, but should be under an official Django domain if possible, and link back to with the main Django documentation where it makes sense."

I'd rather not get into hosting more documentation on djangoproject.org if possible, as there's a non-trivial maintenance burden there. I imagine it would be easier for the project's maintenance team to make adjustments in the readthedocs UI instead of bothering the Django ops team in the event of any problems.

3. Did you envision any involvement from the Django Fellow in these projects? To date, I haven't really had much involvement with any of the ancillary projects like localflavor and formtools.

Andrew Godwin

Jun 12, 2016, 7:35:43 AM6/12/16

On 12 Jun 2016 2:00 a.m., "Tim Graham" <timog...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. It might be nice if projects had more than one shepherd so there's not a single point of failure. Of course, if all members of the maintenance team end up joining the team, then there's no issue.

It depends how the role of work is split between them; I think it depends on the project too. I'd rather not over legislate here and let us have some leeway based on context. I agree we should aim for this if the shepherd role is very busy for that project, but with a maintenance team we hopefully have a ready source of knowledgeable potential new core team members.

> 2. Re: "The main project documentation does not have to be hosted inside the main Django documentation, but should be under an official Django domain if possible, and link back to with the main Django documentation where it makes sense."
>

> I'd rather not get into hosting more documentation on djangoproject.org if possible, as there's a non-trivial maintenance burden there. I imagine it would be easier for the project's maintenance team to make adjustments in the readthedocs UI instead of bothering the Django ops team in the event of any problems.

This is why I said domain, not infrastructure; I'd like us to host on RTD with a custom django project subdomain so we retain control of the URLs in the long term but we can pay them to host and deal with it all in the short term.

> 3. Did you envision any involvement from the Django Fellow in these projects? To date, I haven't really had much involvement with any of the ancillary projects like localflavor and formtools.

I didn't, mostly as I didn't want to add more responsibilities to the existing set; do you think we should? I think asking the project to come with a plan for that stuff is helpful, and if it would need Fellow involvement, the proposal should include them as part of the maintenance team maybe?

Andrew

> On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 3:01:23 AM UTC-4, Andrew Godwin wrote:
>>
>> Just to update on this, there was some good feedback on the draft for writing and clarity, and it's now made it into an official draft, located here: https://github.com/django/deps/blob/master/draft/0007-official-projects.rst
>>
>> If you'd like to read through the draft and raise discussion points or opinions on the plan, now is the time!
>>
>> Andrew
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 1:34 PM, Andrew Godwin <and...@aeracode.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I've started on an "official projects" process DEP as I discussed here a while back, to formalise the process of adopting non-core packages as repositories under the official Django organisation, with a view to taking Channels on this route (and hopefully including the existing localflavor under this too).
>>>
>>> Pull request is up here: https://github.com/django/deps/pull/23 - comments welcome.
>>>
>>> Andrew

Andrew Godwin

Jul 4, 2016, 2:39:57 PM7/4/16
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I've revised the documentation section for clarity about external hosting, and given the lack of further discussion or dissention, I'm now taking the DEP to the technical board for a decision.

Andrew

Andrew Godwin

Jul 14, 2016, 11:36:19 PM7/14/16
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

I am happy to report that the Official Projects DEP, number 0007, was approved by the Technical Board and is now adopted as final!

Andrwe

Chris Foresman

Jul 19, 2016, 12:04:13 PM7/19/16
Nice work!