status of 1.10 release blockers

Tim Graham

May 14, 2016, 7:40:32 PM5/14/16
Time to kickoff the progress tracker for the next major release!

At this time, I'm considering master feature frozen besides the tickets marked "ready for checkin" [1] and those tagged "1.10" [2]. Let me know if I missed anything critical.

I'll continue working with the ticket owners to polish those patches. I'll also continue merging bug fixes until we create the stable/1.10 branch and issue the alpha release, which I'd like to do sometime next week.

[1] https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=assigned&status=new&stage=Ready+for+checkin&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=version&order=priority
[2] https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=assigned&status=new&keywords=~1.10&stage=Accepted&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=version&col=changetime&desc=1&order=changetime

Tim Graham

May 18, 2016, 10:03:17 PM5/18/16
A couple issues remain before the alpha release:

Issue: Fixing some new-style SessionMiddleware to process the response even if the view raises an exception.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/6618

Issue: Made CSRF tokens change every request.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/5605

Issue: i18n test failures on Windows
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/25677

I hope to resolve these issues and make the alpha release tomorrow or Friday.

Tim Graham

May 19, 2016, 2:08:59 PM5/19/16
The CSRF patch is merged. I'm a bit stuck on the middleware one, however, I don't think it's a blocker for alpha. I think I'll create the stable branch and make the release later today (in about 7 hours), unless there are objections.

Tim Graham

Jun 17, 2016, 10:52:50 AM6/17/16
There are a few small issues to finish up, but if all goes well, the beta release will happen sometime tomorrow (at least 24 hours from now).

Claude Paroz

Jun 17, 2016, 5:33:04 PM6/17/16
Le vendredi 17 juin 2016 16:52:50 UTC+2, Tim Graham a écrit :
There are a few small issues to finish up, but if all goes well, the beta release will happen sometime tomorrow (at least 24 hours from now).

I'm a bit worried about https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/26719 which could have security implications for 1.10. To be investigated...

Claude

Tim Graham

Jun 18, 2016, 8:05:32 PM6/18/16
I'm postponing the release until next week as some release blockers remain:

https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=!closed&severity=Release%20blocker

Tim Graham

Jun 20, 2016, 9:10:12 PM6/20/16
The remaining blocker:

UserCreationForm doesn't call normalize_email and normalize_username
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/26719

Other possible blockers:

Different manager for _base_manager and related descriptors
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/26749
django-hvad is broken by the manager inheritance refactor and it's unclear if it can be adapted for the new behavior.

Update decorator_from_middleware() to work with DEP5 style middleware.
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/26626
Design decision needed, see https://groups.google.com/d/topic/django-developers/hNQIaYcN3xM/discussion

As long as no new issues pop up by tomorrow, I'm thinking to do the beta release then. We might consider a "beta 2" release around 2 weeks later if we decide to push fixes for the other two issues.

Tim Graham

Jun 21, 2016, 4:29:47 PM6/21/16
The blocker is merged so I'll release the beta in a couple hours if no one stops me.

Tim Graham

Jul 14, 2016, 9:41:51 AM7/14/16
I'm planning for the release candidate on Monday.

The one blocker is #26888 - RegexURLResolver doesn't work in threaded environments.

Markus Holtermann

Jul 14, 2016, 10:05:39 AM7/14/16
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the update, Tim.

#26888 will be taken care of by tomorrow. Either Marten or I are pushing
a PR.

Cheers,

/Markus

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 06:41:51AM -0700, Tim Graham wrote:
>I'm planning for the release candidate on Monday.
>
>The one blocker is #26888 <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/26888> -
>--

signature.asc

Tim Graham

Jul 30, 2016, 9:20:46 PM7/30/16
The final release is on schedule for Monday, August 1.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted