Add DoNotTrack (DNT) middleware?

Tim Graham

Aug 29, 2015, 1:17:59 PM8/29/15
from the ticket: DoNotTrack (DNT) is a HTTP request header, a proposed W3C standard http://www.w3.org/TR/tracking-dnt/#dnt-header-field which is used by the browsers to communicate user's preference on server-side profiling or tacking. There is a number of 3rd party Django middlewares that add support of this header, but it would be nice if it was supported natively.

https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/25325

Do you think it's a good idea to add this to Django at this time?

Alex Gaynor

Aug 29, 2015, 1:32:44 PM8/29/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I would say no: this does _so_ little, and it's completely implementable outside of Django. Moreover, adding the middleware doesn't change any behavior, you still have to do a bunch of work in your app to actually implement the not-tracking logic.

Alex

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (summarizing Voltaire)
GPG Key fingerprint: 125F 5C67 DFE9 4084

Aymeric Augustin

Aug 29, 2015, 2:14:16 PM8/29/15
On 29 août 2015, at 19:32, Alex Gaynor <alex....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Moreover, adding the middleware doesn't change any behavior, you still have to do a bunch of work in your app to actually implement the not-tracking logic.

Indeed I’m afraid that people will believe that the middleware makes them compliant, while it doesn’t. Worse, it will echo the DNT header, implying that it’s handled correctly, even if it isn’t.

--
Aymeric.

Florian Apolloner

Aug 29, 2015, 2:49:38 PM8/29/15

On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 7:32:44 PM UTC+2, Alex_Gaynor wrote:
I would say no: this does _so_ little, and it's completely implementable outside of Django. Moreover, adding the middleware doesn't change any behavior, you still have to do a bunch of work in your app to actually implement the not-tracking logic.

Nothing more to add :D