documenting changes to the database backend API

Tim Graham

Jan 9, 2015, 12:00:30 PM1/9/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
To authors of third-party database backends,

We'd like to start documenting changes to the database backend API [1], but we need some help with this.

First, please introduce yourself and which backend you maintain so we know of your existence.

Second, we'd like to know if you attempt to support multiple versions of Django in a particular release of your backend? This will help us to decide whether or not try to document the changes in a backwards and forwards compatible way.

Third, could you try updating your backend to 1.8 and let us know what problems you run into so we know what documentation to add?

The section of the release notes that will be expanded with details is: https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/1.8/#database-backend-api

Thank-you!

[1] https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/24106

Ola Sitarska

Jan 10, 2015, 7:25:43 AM1/10/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com, Luke Benstead
Hi Tim!

At Potato we're developing Djangae: https://github.com/potatolondon/djangae, which is a database backend for supporting Google App Engine datastore. We're currently only supporting 1.6, but we're about to start development of 1.7 support.

Thanks!
Ola

Michael Manfre

Jan 10, 2015, 10:00:50 AM1/10/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

For completeness, I'm Michael Manfre and have been the maintainer of Django-mssql [1] for the last 6+ years. Future releases of Django-mssql will officially support a single version of Django. Support for legacy versions of Django will be maintained if it requires little effort.

Work on Django 1.8 support has started and I'll update the release notes as I encounter issues.

Regards,
Michael

[1] https://bitbucket.org/Manfre/django-mssql/