Consider making asgi_rabbitmq an official Django project.

Artem Malyshev

Jun 8, 2017, 9:43:34 AM6/8/17
Hi everyone,

asgi_rabbitmq is Channels layer on top of RabbitMQ.  It was originally developed as part of Mozilla funding program.

I've complete few major milestones after this.  Now it's used in few production systems.  It implements the ASGI specification exactly and performs well.

I want to make asgi_rabbitmq an official Django project.

Reasons why I want this happens:

- It will be widely used.
- Major changes in the Channels and ASGI will take this library into account.

We need:

- Discuss if it's interesting at all for Django project.
- Find at least one more person who understands library code.  Documentation has a comprehensive chapter about internal design and implementation.

Conditions under which I prefer it happens:

- I want to keep commit access for this repository for future development and fixes.
- I'll keep it up to date with coming channels releases.
- I'll do initial preparation steps for code transfer like code clean up if necessary.  But I need receive some comments after code review.

Regards, Artem.

Andrew Godwin

Jun 10, 2017, 9:08:20 PM6/10/17
Hi Artem,

I know we've discussed this privately but I want to put some things on the public list (and get at least one reply).

My view is that it would be useful to have it maintained, but I do not personally have the spare time to help maintain it, so it would need at least one other person to help you maintain it before we could accept it (they would not have to be existing core, but would need some history of open-source maintenance)

The other thing would be to see the existing code have more comments and documentation; currently it has very few comments, in particular.

Andrew

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 9:39 PM, Artem Malyshev <proof...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Artem Malyshev

Jun 11, 2017, 6:19:02 PM6/11/17
to Django developers (Contributions to Django itself), Andrii Soldatenko
Hi Andrew,

I'm very glad to hear it's considered useful. If you look at recent master you can see that I've added documentation and comments to the code.

Also, I found the second maintainer for the project, Andrii Soldatenko.  He is in the mail carbon copy.

Any insights what to do next?

Regards, Artem.

On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 4:08:20 AM UTC+3, Andrew Godwin wrote:
[...]

Andrew Godwin

Jun 13, 2017, 9:22:30 PM6/13/17
to Django developers (Contributions to Django itself), Andrii Soldatenko
Hi Artem,

Thanks for adding the comments - it does look better. The thing I would like to have is more feedback from Django core about this; I've not heard anyone's opinion but mine, and I am not entirely sure if we should do this (I am also not entirely sure asgi_ipc should be a Django project some days).

Andrew

Tim Graham

Jun 14, 2017, 12:42:27 PM6/14/17
From my perspective, there's been little visibility into how things are going with the other channels related official projects. Who are the other maintainers there? I would present this question to those people (hopefully there are some others by now?) rather than to the Django maintainers which is who I think of when you say "Django core" (a term we're trying to replace with "Technical team" and "Technical advisory team" [0]). Organizationally, I think it could be nice if channels has its own technical team rather than giving the impression that the Django maintainers are also stewarding all other official projects.

[0] https://www.djangoproject.com/foundation/teams/

Andrew Godwin

Jun 14, 2017, 11:06:15 PM6/14/17
The other channels projects are currently maintained by me and me alone (some people were initially helping but have since got busy with other things), which is an untenable position and one I am trying to seek help to fix but have not succeeded so far in doing so.

This is one of the reasons I don't want Django to take on more; we should get our current house in order before we expand. At the current rate I expect I'll burn out on unpaid Channels work early next year (some stuff I can maintain/improve at work as we use it there, but community support and issue responding is not one of those things).

There is an argument to be made for un-parenting the daphne, asgiref, asgi_redis and asgi_ipc projects from Django and just leaving Channels, but that would result in an even worse situation (IMO) of having third-party dependencies that have even less visibility.

Andrew

Artem Malyshev

Jun 15, 2017, 1:33:27 AM6/15/17
I agree that making a separate technical team for channels will help organization process. I think that moving Daphne and asgiref will result in a really bad situation. Probably we will end up with unmaintained ASGI infrastructure. So Channels won't work either because the underlying layer of technology is broken.

I'm glad to join ASGI/Channels technical team regardless of asgi_rabbitmq inclusion. I have few ideas I want to see in Channels (like check framework integration, third-party Consul integration and a few more). Also, I want to help with existing issues. But as a sole entrepreneur, I usually unavailable during new project search (like now). So if daily responsiveness isn't the case, please consider me as the technical team member.

Regards, Artem.