Google Summer of Code 2017

Tim Graham

Jan 20, 2017, 3:57:33 PM1/20/17
I've submitted our organization application for this year.

Anyone interested in mentoring, please indicate your interest https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/SummerOfCode2017. Any experienced contributors are welcome to mentor. We also need project ideas on that page. I've copied the ideas from past years, but they may not be the best. If you have an idea in mind, feel free to start a new thread on this mailing list to see if others think it's suitable.

Any students interested in participating, the time to starting contributing is now! The chances of developing a successful proposal without any past contributions to Django is very low.

If you have a question, let me know.

shivang bharadwaj

Jan 27, 2017, 8:59:11 AM1/27/17
I have an idea in mind I would like to work on. How should I go about adding it to the ideas page?

Tim Graham

Jan 27, 2017, 9:05:15 AM1/27/17
If you have an idea in mind, feel free to start a new thread on this mailing list to see if others think it's suitable.

HITESH V. BHAGCHANDANI

Feb 3, 2017, 7:16:48 AM2/3/17
My college blocks ports for IRC and am unable to communicate freely with the django community. By the way, I have joined only a few days ago and would like to know where I can post my queries regarding details( which function to use, what file to edit and so on) about any patch that I'd be writing for a ticket. Is this mailing list the right place?

Tim Graham

Feb 3, 2017, 7:33:33 AM2/3/17
There are web clients for IRC such as irccloud.com that you can use to avoid port restrictions. This mailing list isn't the best place for basic contributing questions.

The #django-dev IRC channel or the mentorship mailing list could be suitable for new contributor questions.
https://groups.google.com/group/django-core-mentorship

If the question involves design decisions, commenting on the ticket you intend to work on might also be appropriate.

HITESH V. BHAGCHANDANI

Feb 4, 2017, 9:33:52 AM2/4/17
Thanks a lot for the guidance. I joined irccloud.com. Will keep posting for further queries, there!

Vipin Chaudhary

Feb 18, 2017, 11:17:47 AM2/18/17
Hi Tim ,

I am Vipin , i opened 2 tickets few days back in Django community and those were closed by you :P , BTW thanks for your early reaction on my tickets. I was asking that what should i do to get select in Django community in GSOC.
I've been working on Django for past one and half year and have pretty good knowledge about it

Thanks

Tim Graham

Feb 18, 2017, 8:49:40 PM2/18/17
Hi Vipin, I don't have any special guidance besides the advice I wrote in my initial post to this thread (and in the linked wiki page). Is it unclear?

Tim Graham

Feb 27, 2017, 4:40:33 PM2/27/17
Django is accepted as a mentor organization. The student application period opens March 20 ends on April 3. Students playing to apply should share drafts of their proposal on this mailing list well before the deadline to get feedback and find possible mentors.

akki

Mar 3, 2017, 1:39:55 PM3/3/17

Pranav Jadhav

Mar 5, 2017, 11:11:17 AM3/5/17
Hey Tim,
    I am Pranav Jadhav, an undergrad student from Pune, India. I was keen on working with contributions towards communities. I just wished some guidance to get actually started. Means how actually these things proceed and how I actually would be getting something to work upon. Just like the basics. Anything helpful will be appreciated.
    Thank You!!

Tim Graham

Mar 6, 2017, 8:18:38 AM3/6/17
Have you read the wiki page? https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/SummerOfCode2017 It contains getting started tips. If so, please be more specific with your questions.