DKIM signing option for stmp.MailBackend?

Loek van Gent

Apr 3, 2015, 1:05:02 PM4/3/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Is anyone using DKIM signing for densing emails? Does it make sense to you to have a feature like that in Django core or is this typically something that should be in it's own app?
We use it to sign our emails so the don't end up in spam boxes.
It could be part of smtp mail backend.

Cheers,
Loek

Russell Keith-Magee

Apr 3, 2015, 6:30:41 PM4/3/15
to Django Developers
Hi Loek,

I'm using DKIM signing in my day job. I've been meaning to factor out the code I'm using into a standalone app.

As for whether it belongs in core - I'd be inclined to say a "weak yes" - but I'd be interested in hearing other opinions.

My only hesitation/question would be about the implementation of the DKIM algorithm itself. Do we roll our own, or just use PyDKIM?

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Claude Paroz

Apr 4, 2015, 5:27:13 AM4/4/15
Le vendredi 3 avril 2015 19:05:02 UTC+2, Loek van Gent a écrit :
Hi all,

Is anyone using DKIM signing for densing emails? Does it make sense to you to have a feature like that in Django core or is this typically something that should be in it's own app?

I think that generally DKIM is most often a task of the MTA (mail transfer agent), while Django is playing the role of the MUA (user agent) here. Hence I wouldn't push for a Django core integration, but more as an external add-on.

Claude

Bruno Ribeiro da Silva

Apr 4, 2015, 7:53:45 AM4/4/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

I do think DKIM is a task for the MTA too, so it doesn't make much sense to have it in django's core.

Alex Gaynor

Apr 4, 2015, 10:08:17 AM4/4/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I agree that DKIM is the responsibility of an MTA, not Django.

Alex

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (summarizing Voltaire)
GPG Key fingerprint: 125F 5C67 DFE9 4084