Proposal: deprecate and remove egg template loader

James Bennett

Jul 12, 2015, 10:53:23 AM7/12/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
There's not much to this, really, except what's in the subject line of this message.

The problem of providing a single-file, no-build-step format for distributing and installing Python packages has been solved by wheels, and wheels also don't cause the pile of weirdness that comes with using eggs.

So Django should really stop encouraging/supporting the use of eggs. At a minimum, this should involve Django 1.9 starting the deprecation process for the egg template loader, and any other parts of Django which contain special-case workarounds to deal with eggs.

Marc Tamlyn

Jul 12, 2015, 11:29:26 AM7/12/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
+1

Preston Timmons

Jul 13, 2015, 10:09:18 AM7/13/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
+1. Eggs have reached the point of obsolescence.

Donald Stufft

Jul 13, 2015, 11:01:08 AM7/13/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com, James Bennett
I’m fine with this, but just be warned that it does mean anything
that ships a Django app will need a zip_unsafe=True or else they
no longer support being installed with easy_install.
> --

---
Donald Stufft

Tim Graham

Jul 13, 2015, 3:53:10 PM7/13/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

Russell Keith-Magee

Jul 13, 2015, 8:41:10 PM7/13/15
to Django Developers
On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 11:00 PM, Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> wrote:
I’m fine with this, but just be warned that it does mean anything
that ships a Django app will need a zip_unsafe=True or else they
no longer support being installed with easy_install.

... and I'm sure both the people who still use easy_install will be devastated by this. :-)

Seriously - is easy_install compatibility really a thing these days? Unless someone can mount a case that eggs and easy_install are actively being used in some segment of the Django community, +1 to this.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Curtis Maloney

Jul 13, 2015, 9:09:15 PM7/13/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
so _that's_ why I've been adding zip_safe=False to all my setups for
years.... :P

+1 to encouraging the world to move forward :)

--
Curtis
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAJxq848%2BPAmrhV7_5E2VvR%2BNAh6KgkpeqYq1JyqsSZd84S%3DwjQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Federico Capoano

Jul 14, 2015, 4:19:30 AM7/14/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
+1
I am assuming the deprecation is done according to the process that was discussed in the thread "An easier path to upgrade from one LTS release to another".