Django 1.5 release plans

Jacob Kaplan-Moss

Sep 11, 2012, 10:21:41 AM9/11/12
to django-developers
Hi folks --

I wanted to fill everyone in on our plans for the Django 1.5 release.
The highlights are:

* Feature freeze October 1st, final out before Christmas.

* One marquee feature of Django 1.5 is experimental Python 3 support.
This is where we need your help the most: we need to be sure that our
support for Python 3 hasn't destabilized Django on Python 2. We need
lots of testing here!

* Most features of 1.5 have already landed, but we're also hoping to
land the new pluggable User model work, add support for PostGIS 2.0,
start the process of deprecating django.contrib.localflavor, and a few
other small things.

* This'll be our first "master never closes" release: work, including
new features, can continue to land on master while we ship the
release.

Please read on for details.

Timeline
--------

Oct 1: Feature freeze, Django 1.5 alpha.
Nov 1: Django 1.5 beta.
Nov 26: Django 1.5 RC 1
Dec 10: Django 1.5 RC 2
Dec 17: Django 1.5 RC 3, if needed
Dec 24 (or earlier): Django 1.5 final

(All dates are "week of" - we'll do the releases that week, though not
neccisarily that exact day.)

Notice the longer-than-usual timeline from beta to final. We're doing
this to provide some extra time stablizing the release after landing
the Python 3 work. Please see below for details and how you can help.

Python 3 support
----------------

Django 1.5 includes experimental support for Python 3 (it's already
landed on master). We're taking a "shared source" approach: Django's
code is written in a way that runs on both Python 2 and Python 3
(without needing 2to3's translation). This means that we've touched
nearly the entire codebase, and so the surface area for possible bugs
is huge.

WE REALLY NEED YOUR HELP testing out Django 1.5 *on Python 2*. Please
grab master, or one of the upcoming alpha/beta/RC releases, and test
it against your apps and sites. We need you to help us catch
regressions.

We're not yet recommending that people target Python 3 for deployment,
so our main focus here is ensuring that we're still rock-solid on
Python 2. If you *want* to give Python 3 a whirl things should be
pretty solid, but we *especially* need real-world reports of success
or failure on Python 2.

Features in 1.5
---------------

Besides the stuff that's already landed (see
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/1.5/), there are a few
other features we're hoping to land:

* The "pluggable User model" work (Russell Keith-Magee).
* Some early low-level schema alteration plumbing work (Andrew Godwin).
* Moving django.contrib.localflavor out into individual external
packages (Adrian Holovaty).
* Support for PostGIS 2.0 (Justin Bronn).
* Python 3 support in GeoDjango (Aymeric Augustin).
* App-loading (Preston Holmes) is "on the bubble" - there's some
debate among the core team over whether its ready, but it's close.

Of course, as with our previous releases, the *real* list of what'll
go in 1.5 is "whatever's done by October 1st". If you want to help
with any of the above areas, contact the person doing the bulk of the
work (listed above) and ask to help. And if you have other features
you'd like to land, get 'em done!

Master never closes
-------------------

This'll mark our first release where "master never closes".

To recap: in previous releases, once we hit feature freeze we froze
the development trunk, forcing all feature work out to branches. In
practice, this meant months-long periods where new features couldn't
be merged, and led to some stuff withering on the vine.

That's not going to happen this time. Instead, when we release 1.5
alpha we'll make a 1.5 release branch right at that point. Work will
continue on master -- features, bugfixes, whatever -- and the
aplicable bugfixes will be cherry-picked out to the 1.5 release
branch.

The upshot is a bit more work for us committers -- we'll have to be
sure to merge the aplicable commits over -- but no more "sorry you
have to wait three months to merge this work." I'm very happy about
this!

[Committers: I'm happy to assist with this porting of bugfixes from
master to the release branch.]

See you on the other side, folks!

Jacob

Anders Steinlein

Sep 11, 2012, 11:34:46 AM9/11/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Jacob Kaplan-Moss <ja...@jacobian.org> wrote:
[...]

Timeline
--------

Oct 1: Feature freeze, Django 1.5 alpha.
Nov 1: Django 1.5 beta.
Nov 26: Django 1.5 RC 1
Dec 10: Django 1.5 RC 2
Dec 17: Django 1.5 RC 3, if needed
Dec 24 (or earlier): Django 1.5 final

Looking forward to this release, exciting! However, targeting the release for Christmas Eve seems like a bad idea PR-wise. I suggest either launching after new year's eve or quite a few days before christmas to get better/broader PR.

--
Anders Steinlein
Eliksir AS

E-post: and...@e5r.no
Mobil: +47 926 13 069
Twitter: @asteinlein

Jacob Kaplan-Moss

Sep 11, 2012, 11:54:59 AM9/11/12
On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Anders Steinlein <and...@e5r.no> wrote:
> Looking forward to this release, exciting! However, targeting the release
> for Christmas Eve seems like a bad idea PR-wise. I suggest either launching
> after new year's eve or quite a few days before christmas to get
> better/broader PR.

Thanks for the suggestion. If this was a traditional product, I'd be
holding off until after the new year, but the great thing about being
an open source developer is that we don't have to worry about these
things. PR's pretty far down the list of things I'm worried about.
Free time, on the other hand, is right up there on the top, and the
Thanksgiving - Christmas timeframe is traditionally when us volunteers
have a ton of free time. So I'm targeting the release for the end of
that timeframe.

Jacob

timest

Sep 12, 2012, 11:58:48 PM9/12/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Can django support mongodb in version 1.5 ?

Donald Stufft

Sep 13, 2012, 7:54:15 AM9/13/12
On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 11:58 PM, timest wrote:
Can django support mongodb in version 1.5 ?
If by supports you mean via the ORM, that's highly unlikely. Other then that
there's nothing stopping you from using MongoDB within Django in any version
of Django.

Thiago Carvalho D' Ávila

Nov 24, 2012, 11:35:48 AM11/24/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

According to Jacab s plan the distance between alpha and beta release is a month. As the alpha was released 25 of October, I think beta is near.. unless there are new delays to come.

Em 21/11/2012 21:40, "Emil Kjer" <em...@kjer.info> escreveu:
Is there an ETA for release of Django 1.5 beta?

Thanks
Emil

Aymeric Augustin

Nov 24, 2012, 12:08:44 PM11/24/12
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
The beta is released when there aren't any release blockers left, or when the remaining ones are considered sufficiently benign to be fixed later on.

--
Aymeric.

Aymeric Augustin

Dec 26, 2012, 9:06:55 AM12/26/12
2012/9/11 Jacob Kaplan-Moss <ja...@jacobian.org>

Oct 1: Feature freeze, Django 1.5 alpha.
Nov 1: Django 1.5 beta.
Nov 26: Django 1.5 RC 1
Dec 10: Django 1.5 RC 2
Dec 17: Django 1.5 RC 3, if needed
Dec 24 (or earlier): Django 1.5 final

(All dates are "week of" - we'll do the releases that week, though not
neccisarily that exact day.)

A quick update: we hope to release RC1 by the end of the year and
we're roughly one month behind the original plan.

--
Aymeric.

Tom Christie

Jan 2, 2013, 11:20:38 AM1/2/13
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yann,

There's [a thread on django-users][1] that should answer your request.

From Russ "It's difficult to give an exact date for the release of Django 1.5. We've put out 2 beta releases, which means there are no more features to be added; and the list of release blocking bugs is down to single figures"

There are currently [2 open release blockers][2], so I'd expect there will be a new ETA sometime after those are resolved.

[2]: https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&severity=Release+blocker

On Wednesday, 2 January 2013 15:37:45 UTC, Yann Beaud wrote:
Hi team,

Thanks for amazing job!

But an update about the release date would be really great :)

Thanks

Yann Beaud