django-formtools is neglected/unmaintained

Tim Graham

Nov 28, 2016, 6:45:59 PM11/28/16

django-formtools seems neglected. It's been several months since the release of Django 1.10 but a compatible version of formtools hasn't been released to PyPI.

Personally, I don't know if it's important to maintain it as an "official project." An alternative could be to "donate" it to JazzBand (https://jazzband.co/) and see if the community maintains it.

If you have an interest in this package (especially if you want to maintain it), let us know.

Asif Saifuddin

Nov 28, 2016, 11:55:48 PM11/28/16
Hi Tim,

In case there is lack of active maintainers for the project then you could add me to the list of maintainers. I do contribute to django eco system regularly.

my github activities:

And about moving to jazzband, I do take part in django-admin2 maintenance there with the two other old maintainers, The fact is moving it to jazzband haven't increased the active co maintainers.

Thanks,

Asif

eric....@datalyticsolutions.com

Jan 3, 2017, 7:28:59 PM1/3/17
This is really bad. django-formtools used to be part of the core of Django. Is this getting the attention it deserves from the Django Foundation?

Tim Graham

Jan 3, 2017, 8:04:59 PM1/3/17
Is the situation bad enough that you would volunteer to maintain the project?

The Django team is a collection of volunteers (excepting me) who work on Django. It seems that no one on the team or reading this mailing list has time or interest in maintaining the project. We need to clarify the maintenance status, but that doesn't necessarily mean continuing the project in its current form if there's little interest.

Absent volunteers, another idea could be for an interested freelancer to start a kickstarter-style fundraiser to raise money to fund some time to work on some issue in the backlog. At least it would help determine if any users think the project is worth paying for.

eric....@datalyticsolutions.com

Jan 4, 2017, 5:42:49 PM1/4/17
Hi Tim,

You make some good points. Basically, my situation is that I want to use some features of Django v1.10 for a project at my company, but I am unable to because I use django-formtools for a FormPreview, and it is not compatible with v.1.10. I am also worried about using Django for future projects given that there seem to be problems finding people to contribute to what seems to be an important package. Whether I contribute depends on the answers to several questions: (1) How much work is necessary to get formtools compatible with v1.10? (2) Would my contribution make a difference, given that I would be a new contributor, and I don't have a ton of time to give? (3) Is there another package that people are using for FormPreviews that I'm not aware of? I couldn't find anything else that was more up-to-date than django-formtools. (4) Is this a sign that people simply aren't using Django for this task, and are maybe instead using some kind of Javascript library instead? If you have any information these questions, please let me know.

Thanks,
Eric

Adam Johnson

Jan 4, 2017, 5:51:56 PM1/4/17
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
1) Tim added testing on Django 1.10 in July 2016, it seems to work? https://github.com/django/django-formtools/commits/master
2) New contributors are always welcome
3) I don't know of other packages, you can check https://djangopackages.org/
4) It's true that many websites are built with pure JS frontends these days, there are probably more recently developed tools there

Adam

Tim Graham

Jan 4, 2017, 6:02:29 PM1/4/17
According to https://github.com/django/django-formtools/issues/75, there's a change in master that's needed for 1.10 compatibility.

I'll try to do a release if I can get access to the PyPI record. I pinged the owner (jezdez) in #django-dev about it.

Adam

eric....@datalyticsolutions.com

Jan 4, 2017, 6:20:40 PM1/4/17
Thanks a lot, Tim! If you think I could help, then let me know. Otherwise, I'll just stay out of your way :)

Romain Garrigues

Jan 5, 2017, 5:29:43 AM1/5/17
Hi guys,

I'm currently investing some efforts to clean and make some django packages up-to-date.
After django-dirtyfields (https://github.com/romgar/django-dirtyfields), I'm now beginning to work on django-model-utils (https://github.com/carljm/django-model-utils) where there is some work to update it, but after this, and if nobody else had enough time to have a look, I can try to contribute on django-formtools.

Romain.

Tim Graham

Jan 7, 2017, 4:05:53 PM1/7/17
django-formtools 2.0 is now available on PyPI.

eric....@datalyticsolutions.com

Jan 9, 2017, 1:17:24 AM1/9/17
Thanks so much, Tim. I really appreciate it.