Help needed with Oracle GIS backend

Claude Paroz

Mar 16, 2015, 3:20:40 PM3/16/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

In ticket #24214, I built a patch to replace all geo-specific Manager methods by class-based ORM functions. This will allow us to get rid of convoluted query code in the GeoDjango ORM. It will also be far much easier to add support for specific database functions. The code is already in good shape, however we are missing the Oracle part of the patch. I won't work on that part myself, that's why I'm here to ask for help with it from anyone which is a bit familiar with the Oracle GIS backend. Help much appreciated!

https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/24214

Claude

Tim Graham

Mar 24, 2015, 7:48:39 AM3/24/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I also advertised this on the geodjango mailing list with the following message:

Do we have any users of the Oracle GIS backend that have interest and ability to help maintain it? Claude has worked on several issues for 1.9 that need to be completed on Oracle. If we cannot find help, then I think we'll be forced to declare the Oracle GIS backend unmaintained and drop support for it.

issues:
* https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/12400#comment:12
* https://github.com/django/django/pull/4027

Jani Tiainen

Mar 25, 2015, 3:58:22 AM3/25/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We're still running Oracle and GIS. Though we do have built custom
backend based on Django GIS backend - mainly to have support for
Oracle XE, 3D functionality and in general to make it faster.

It's currently closed source but we're working on to open source it
in hope that it could interest more wider audience (mainly because it
would enable GIS use with free Oracle XE).

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 04:48:38 -0700 (PDT)
Tim Graham <timog...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I also advertised this on the geodjango mailing list with the following
> message <https://groups.google.com/d/topic/geodjango/D_nL5W4vxmE/discussion>
> :
> --

Jani Tiainen

Tim Graham

Mar 26, 2015, 2:06:42 PM3/26/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Before the fellowship started, I worked a bit on Oracle GIS to fix it up and get its tests passing, but I'm unsure if I should continue to try to do so as part of my duties in the absence of anyone else stepping up. Clearly if no one uses this backend, it's wasted effort. Should we try advertising through other channels? Maybe the members of the technical board could offer some guidance on this as I'd not like to make the decision about dropping support unilaterally. I realize 2 weeks is not much time to solicit feedback, but Claude's patch is a big one, and I'd like it not to go stale.

Shai Berger

Mar 26, 2015, 4:29:31 PM3/26/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jani.

On Wednesday 25 March 2015 09:58:00 Jani Tiainen wrote:

> We're still running Oracle and GIS. Though we do have built custom
> backend based on Django GIS backend - mainly to have support for
> Oracle XE, 3D functionality and in general to make it faster.
>
> It's currently closed source but we're working on to open source it
> in hope that it could interest more wider audience (mainly because it
> would enable GIS use with free Oracle XE).

That is good news. I would like to draw your attention to
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/21273 where a partial attempt was
already made to add GIS/Oracle-XE support.

Thanks,
Shai.

Jani Tiainen

Mar 30, 2015, 9:34:10 AM3/30/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Well, last comment is mine :) describing exactly how our backend does work in general level and explains rationales why we chose a slightly different approach.

--
Jani Tiainen

Tim Graham

Aug 6, 2015, 12:10:30 PM8/6/15
As we approach 1.9 alpha in about a month and half, no one has stepped up to offer help fix the Oracle GIS backend. Should we use another platform like the djangoproject.com blog to make a final plea for help?