Proposing Channels as an Official Project

Andrew Godwin

Jul 15, 2016, 1:27:31 PM7/15/16
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Now the Official Projects DEP has landed, I would like to submit Channels for consideration as one.

As per the DEP (https://github.com/django/deps/blob/master/final/0007-official-projects.rst), the final decision is down to the Technical Board, but a discussion phase is an important part, especially given the resistance to it landing in 1.10.

So, there are two questions:

a) Right now, I am the only member of the Maintenance Team and the Shepherd of the proposal as well. I would like to invite people who might be interested in joining the Maintenance Team to email me personally to discuss what's needed; I would love to have a team of two or three before we take it further. Some MOSS money should be available for this role, but that depends on the funding committee and won't last forever.

b) What are your reasons for and against adopting Channels as an official project? Read the DEP for full details of what it means to be one, but the key points are us going under the security policy, cross-linking docs, moving under the Django organisation on GitHub, and guaranteed compatability with current Django releases.

I personally think this is the right move for Channels; adopting it as an official project and mentioning it in the official docs gets us a long way to filling the hole I first saw in Django without going all the way into core straight away.

Andrew

Andrew Godwin

Jul 27, 2016, 6:21:51 AM7/27/16
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Just would like to bump this and ask if anyone is interested in putting themselves forward for the Channels maintenance team. I am not eager to bring Channels under the Django umbrella project with just me as the only official person looking after it; while I have a decent amount of time to dedicate, security coverage, burnout and the "bus factor" both mean a single-person project is not the best approach.

Andrew

Egor Poderyagin

Aug 4, 2016, 8:12:06 AM8/4/16
I have 20 hours of free time at week. And if you still need free hands for work on Channels, I hope can be useful in this