condition decorator: if-unmodified-since support and updated etags

Thomas Tanner

Apr 16, 2014, 9:56:57 AM4/16/14
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I have implemented support for the If-Unmodified-Since header
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.28
in the condition decorator and added an parameter to support updating
of the etags for write operations
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-reschke-http-etag-on-write-09.txt

Where should I submit my patch?

cheers,

Tim Graham

Apr 16, 2014, 10:51:10 AM4/16/14
to django-d...@googlegroups.com, tan...@gmx.net
Hi Thomas,

You can read about our contributing process here:

In particular, there's a section entitled "Submitting patches".

Tim

Thomas Tanner

Apr 16, 2014, 12:06:27 PM4/16/14
to Tim Graham, django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,
I'm a bit confused by:

On 16.04.14 16:51, Tim Graham wrote:
> https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/contributing/

Requesting features:
First request the feature on the django-developers list, not in the
ticket tracker. It’ll get read more closely if it’s on the mailing list.
This is even more important for large-scale feature requests. We like to
discuss any big changes to Django’s core on the mailing list before
actually working on them.

If core developers agree on the feature, then it’s appropriate to create
a ticket. Include a link the discussion on django-developers in the
ticket description.

As with most open-source projects, code talks. If you are willing to
write the code for the feature yourself or, even better, if you’ve
already written it, it’s much more likely to be accepted. Just fork
Django on GitHub, create a feature branch, and show us your work!

while in django/CONTRIBUTING.rst:

**Warning: non-trivial pull requests (anything more than fixing a typo)
without Trac tickets will be closed!** `Please file a ticket`__ to
suggest changes

Does this mean the steps are
1. ask on this mailing list whether my feature request is OK
2. create a ticket with the link to discussion
3. create a pull request referencing the ticket
Or can I skip step 1, and even step 2?

thanks

Tim Graham

Apr 16, 2014, 12:24:37 PM4/16/14
to django-d...@googlegroups.com, Tim Graham, tan...@gmx.net
The mailing list is typically only required for "major" features. I'm not entirely sure the extent of what you are proposing, but I don't think it'll need a mailing list discussion -- a Trac ticket is sufficient.

Thomas Tanner

Apr 16, 2014, 12:52:39 PM4/16/14
to django-d...@googlegroups.com, Tim Graham
thank you. It's submitted https://github.com/django/django/pull/2573