Easy pickings are not that easy for a new contributor

Alexander Lyabah

Sep 5, 2017, 9:50:53 AM9/5/17
Hi guys,

The problem is that there are not that many tickets I can choose from. All of them are already assign.

Maybe I can start with writing tests?

What should be my next step after I read all the documentation about contribution?

Thank you, and sorry for, possibly, stupid question.

Daniele Procida

Sep 5, 2017, 10:06:20 AM9/5/17
to Django Developers
On Tue, Sep 5, 2017, Alexander Lyabah <a.ly...@checkio.org> wrote:

>A lot of articles that I've read say that I should start with ticket from
>Easy pickings.

>The problem is that there are not that many tickets I can choose from. All
>of them are already assign.
>
>Maybe I can start with writing tests?
>
>What should be my next step after I read all the documentation about
>contribution?
>
>Thank you, and sorry for, possibly, stupid question.

It's not a stupid question at all. As Django has matured, the low-hanging fruit has all but disappeared from the tree.

It's a shame as well as being a good thing. We don't want to have open issues that could easily be remedied, but at the same time they are useful ways for new contributors to start.

Until we find a solution to this dilemma, I would:

* look at tests, as you suggest
* find parts of the documentation that seem unsatisfactory or lacking
* see if you can collaborate with somone who is already working on something, so that even if the issue is a larger one, there might be a more manageable part of it you can tackle.

Daniele

Adam Johnson

Sep 5, 2017, 10:37:07 AM9/5/17
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
There are also some other repos in the Django organization on GitHub that could do with some love: https://github.com/django . For example localflavor and formtools, which were removed from Django core, still have some users and you might something to work on there.

Adam

Tim Graham

Sep 5, 2017, 4:00:50 PM9/5/17
I recommend narrowing down the huge number of tickets using the "Component" category in Trac. Look at https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=assigned&status=new&component=contrib.admin&stage=Accepted&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=version&desc=1&order=id and pick a Component that you're interested in and have some experience using. Just because a ticket isn't marking "easy pickings" doesn't mean it's not suitable for new contributors. Feel free to ask in #django-dev if you need some guidance.

Alexander Lyabah

Sep 6, 2017, 6:39:43 AM9/6/17
> see if you can collaborate with someone who is already working on something, so that even if the issue is a larger one, there might be a more manageable part of it you can tackle.

I like the idea of collaboration with someone, since it give me an opportunity to learn more. How can I find one?

Alexander Lyabah

Sep 6, 2017, 6:44:19 AM9/6/17
> look at tests, as you suggest

A quick question around this one.

If someone accept the ticket and working on it, what is the best way to join and start working on tickets? Should I ask directly on github?

Asif Saifuddin

Sep 9, 2017, 7:01:46 AM9/9/17
You should read the comments on the specific tickets opened for long under specific components first. and if there isn't any activities for long ask for take over the issue if that suits you.