1.7 Release Schedule

Andrew Godwin

Dec 9, 2013, 3:00:14 PM12/9/13
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

It's time to talk 1.7. We had a core discussion recently and I've stepped forward to release manage 1.7, and so please direct all criticism or issues my way! I'll be using some of my Kickstarter time to help push things through and get a release out bang on schedule, so hopefully things will go smoothly.

Here's the timeline we're planning:

  January 20th: 1.7 alpha
  March 6th: 1.7 beta
  May 1st: 1.7 release candidate
  May 15th: Final release (assuming a second release candidate is not needed)

We will feature-freeze and branch off a release branch as we roll the beta, and any features that aren't in by this date _will_ have to wait. The good news is that there's quite a few great features on the horizon and likely to be in by that date, so it's going to be a great release whatever happens.

Any objections/comments, speak up, otherwise this is our final schedule!

Andrew

Tim Graham

Dec 9, 2013, 3:16:54 PM12/9/13
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

x13

Dec 9, 2013, 3:44:11 PM12/9/13
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

Hi Andrew,

Great news! Many thanks for sharing this information.
I have only one comment regarding Django timelines.

Personally, I prefer less major features per release
in order to deliver Django more frecuently
(3 releases per year maybe?).

I think Django Migrations is one of the most
wanted features; the Kickstarter project mentioned that
the work itself should be mainly completed
by July 2013, and waiting till May-June 2014
for that seems a bit inefficient.

Please, don't misunderstood my comment,
I think the work of Django team is awesome,
I'm just trying to make a suggestion and provide
feedback.

(Sorry for my awful English)

Cheers!

Andrew Godwin

Dec 9, 2013, 3:53:11 PM12/9/13
On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 8:44 PM, x13 <fcmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Personally, I prefer less major features per release
in order to deliver Django more frecuently
(3 releases per year maybe?).

This has been suggested before, including by some core developers. The move to using Git has helped in this regard, but we can't do it that fast for this release as I'm moving to the USA during this release cycle (January, most likely) and so I don't have quite enough time to ship migrations faster to a high level of quality - and since it's apparently what everyone is waiting for, it would be a poor move to release with it unpolished or buggy. Don't worry, hopefully we'll have a mostly stable beta people can start developing newer projects on.

Andrew

x13

Dec 9, 2013, 4:00:01 PM12/9/13

On Monday, December 9, 2013 5:53:11 PM UTC-3, Andrew Godwin wrote:

This has been suggested before, including by some core developers. The move to using Git has helped in this regard, but we can't do it that fast for this release as I'm moving to the USA during this release cycle (January, most likely) and so I don't have quite enough time to ship migrations faster to a high level of quality - and since it's apparently what everyone is waiting for, it would be a poor move to release with it unpolished or buggy. Don't worry, hopefully we'll have a mostly stable beta people can start developing newer projects on.

Andrew

Great! Thank you a lot.

Schmitt, Christian

Dec 9, 2013, 4:28:50 PM12/9/13
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I also hoped that the release date will be way before the 15th of may.

Also just a question.. I currently looking forward to maybe contribute
something back to django. But I always struggle with trac it looks so
extremly messy.

I mean i try to query some unresolved, accepted queries:
https://code.djangoproject.com/query?owner=~nobody&owner=~+&status=new&has_patch=0&stage=Accepted&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=component&order=priority
as you see, i only can see the queries who don't have an owner, but
there are also issues where the owner is "" instead of nobody, so its
really hard to find them.
maybe i'm just spoiled with jira...

2013/12/9 x13 <fcmi...@gmail.com>:
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/4ee23053-6f87-4182-b2b8-71d76ba8f679%40googlegroups.com.

Carl Meyer

Dec 9, 2013, 5:37:15 PM12/9/13
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian,

On 12/09/2013 03:28 PM, Schmitt, Christian wrote:
> Also just a question.. I currently looking forward to maybe contribute
> something back to django.

Great!

> But I always struggle with trac it looks so extremly messy.

Yeah, it takes some getting used to. If you'd like help with using Trac
or with the contribution process in general, you can always ask specific
questions here or on the django-core-mentorship mailing list:

> I mean i try to query some unresolved, accepted queries:
> https://code.djangoproject.com/query?owner=~nobody&owner=~+&status=new&has_patch=0&stage=Accepted&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=component&order=priority
> as you see, i only can see the queries who don't have an owner, but
> there are also issues where the owner is "" instead of nobody, so its
> really hard to find them.

It may be possible to get the query you want by fiddling a bit, but I'd
advise simply ignoring the "owner" field in your query instead, because
in my experience that field isn't maintained consistently enough to be
useful for bulk querying in that way. I don't think this is so much a
matter of tooling choice as it is the difference between an OSS project
with a large volunteer community vs an in-house project with mostly paid
contributors. Frequently a contributor will claim an issue (set
themselves as owner) and then other life priorities take hold and they
stop working on the issue, but if nobody else takes particular interest
in that issue, the owner field doesn't get reset. So you'll find that
there are many issues that are open to being picked up by a new
contributor, even though they have an owner set. If there hasn't been
any activity in a number of months, you can just post a comment to the
ticket asking if there is still work in progress and saying that you
plan to start working on it. If you get no response you can feel free to
reassign it to yourself.

So I would focus more on finding an issue that interests you technically
or solves a problem you are facing (which will give you motivation to
work on it). The metadata needed for this query (component, mostly) does
tend to be well-maintained. I wouldn't worry about the owner field until
you are looking at the ticket and can see the full context of recent
activity. If it turns out someone else _is_ actively working on it, no
harm done, move on to a different one.

(Also, you might consider including in your queries tickets that _do_
have a patch but have the "patch needs improvement" flag - there are a
lot of these and they are in need of contributor love, too! Some tickets
are marked this way when what they really need is a whole new approach,
so you may still be largely writing a patch from scratch in this case.)

Carl

signature.asc

Christian Schmitt

Dec 10, 2013, 2:34:54 PM12/10/13

Am Montag, 9. Dezember 2013 23:37:15 UTC+1 schrieb Carl Meyer:

So I would focus more on finding an issue that interests you technically
or solves a problem you are facing (which will give you motivation to
work on it). The metadata needed for this query (component, mostly) does
tend to be well-maintained. I wouldn't worry about the owner field until
you are looking at the ticket and can see the full context of recent
activity. If it turns out someone else _is_ actively working on it, no
harm done, move on to a different one.

Thats one of my biggest problem. There are way to many things that interesting me technically. The problem is always the time. i don't owe that much time. so "smaller" issues would be great, especially to find out, what interests me.

This is my updated query:

Christian Schmitt

Dec 10, 2013, 6:05:49 PM12/10/13
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

Tim Graham

Dec 11, 2013, 9:51:55 AM12/11/13
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian,

I'd recommend leaving comments like that on the ticket itself rather than in this thread. It very well could be that the ticket has been resolved since someone last looked at it. Please go ahead and resolve the ticket if you confirm that to be the case.

I'd also suggest starting a new thread on django-core-mentorship if you're looking for more contributing advice rather than getting this thread too off-topic.

Thanks for your interest!