Django 1.7+ support

John-Scott

Oct 7, 2014, 6:44:07 PM10/7/14
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Thanks everyone for their work on getting 3.0.6 out the door today.

I submitted a pull request to add a note to the documentation that the Twitter plugins are not 1.7 compatible. Django-filer is also not compatible, I'll fork and create 1.7 migrations. All other mentioned plugins appear to be. The release notes say 1.7 support is 'experimental', is the idea that 3.1 will be the first to 'officially' support or will this happen on the 3.0.x line?

What is django-cms policy for Django versions support? There are quite a few RemovedInDjango18Warning in the runserver output when using Django 1.7. However, to address each of these would require "if/else" code bloat for things that are valid in 1.4 but completely removed in 1.8. Will support for 1.4 be dropped when 1.8 is released or should we start the work of supporting both? FYI Django 1.4 will be supported "at least until March 2015" but once support ends for this, then only 1.6+ will be officially supported by Django. As far as 1.8/git master, django-cms is currently not compatible, should we note this in the install docs/release notes?

Also, according to the documentation, django-cms officially supports Django 1.5 but Django no longer supports 1.5 and they warn users that it's insecure and to upgrade immediately. I previously added a warning in the 'Getting Started' docs but shouldn't we fully remove support for 1.5 (removing any 1.5-only workarounds, removing it from the CI tests, etc.)?

Thanks,
John-Scott

Patrick Lauber

Oct 8, 2014, 3:14:01 AM10/8/14
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

We supported for a very long time the last 2 django versions. At the moment we support the last 4 versions….
I propose that we drop support for 1.4 and 1.5 with the 3.1 release.

Iacopo Spalletti

Oct 9, 2014, 2:23:53 AM10/9/14
In data mercoledì 8 ottobre 2014 09:13:54, Patrick Lauber ha scritto:
> Hi John,
>
> We supported for a very long time the last 2 django versions. At the moment
> we support the last 4 versions.... I propose that we drop support for 1.4
> and 1.5 with the 3.1 release.

+1
Iacopo Spalletti

Nephila s.a.s. - Firenze
Telefono: +39 055 5357189
Assistenza Tecnica: +39 055 3985730
http://nephila.it

John-Scott

Oct 28, 2014, 10:05:34 AM10/28/14
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
I see @yakky has started the process of dropping 1.4/1.5 (sweet!). Is there additional work/conversations taking place to remove code paths that work around old Django issues? I ask because I don't want to duplicate effort. One itch I'd like to scratch soon is to get rid of deprecation warnings (RemovedInDjango18Warning). Should I base my work off of yakky:feature/drop_1.5? Or should I just work in parallel in my own branch based off of develop branch?

While we're at it, can we get rid of the migrations/migrations_django kludge in 3.1 (aka develop branch)? South has officially released 1.0.1 which fixes the Python 3 incompatibility issue. Is there any reason at this point why we shouldn't require South==1.0.1 for users on Django < 1.7? Let me know and I'll put together a pull request.

Finally, what is the policy for the official CMS plugins? Will they follow a similar release schedule and remove support for Django < 1.6 too?

Iacopo Spalletti

Oct 29, 2014, 9:07:43 AM10/29/14

#3525 is just a "declaration" and it won't change existing code.
It's been opened (and still not merged) to get feedback from the users.
Feel free to work on code removals working off develop

> While we're at it, can we get rid of the migrations/migrations_django
> kludge in 3.1 (aka develop branch)? South has officially released 1.0.1
> which fixes the Python 3 incompatibility issue. Is there any reason at this
> point why we shouldn't require South==1.0.1 for users on Django < 1.7? Let
> me know and I'll put together a pull request.

The renaming of the migration folders is something I'm going to take ; we need
to decide when implement this on the semi-core plugins as they will have a
much shorter release cycle and we must prepare the users for this switch (even
if by simply requiring south 1.0.1 we should be able to overcome most -if not
all- issues)

> Finally, what is the policy for the official CMS plugins? Will they follow
> a similar release schedule and remove support for Django < 1.6 too?
Yes, in my opinion, but again, I think that some syncronisation with 3.1
release should be in place to avoid breaking 3.0 installations due to
upgrades.