drop Python 2.6 compatibility in django-cms 3.2?

Tim Graham

Aug 13, 2015, 7:55:37 AM8/13/15
to django CMS developers
Are there any objections to dropping Python 2.6 support in django-cms 3.2? The last security updates were in October 2013. Among the supported Django versions, only Django 1.6 supports Python 2.6.

Jonas Obrist

Aug 13, 2015, 8:15:03 AM8/13/15
to django CMS developers
I cannot understate how much I'd support this. I'm trying to debug a Python 2.6 issue at the moment, only to learn that ipython (which is a dependency of ipdb, my preferred interactive debugger) dropped 2.6 support. So instead of actually fixing stuff or improving stuff I'm now wasting my time trying to figure out what the latest versions of ipython/ipdb work on Python 2.6.

Jonas

PS: "pip install 'ipython<2' ipdb" did the trick for me.

Daniele Procida

Aug 13, 2015, 11:04:31 AM8/13/15
to Django Cms-Developers
I don't think we have any good reason for supporting Python 2.6, do we?

The thing is that we haven't already said we are going to (just like we didn't about Django 1.6) and we're supposed to give advance warning in the previous release before dropping support.

I don't know to what extent this is a practical issue as opposed to one of policy or courtesy to users.

I suspect that in practice very few people - if anyone at all - is likely to suffer if we drop 2.6 without warning.

Daniele

Tim Graham

Aug 14, 2015, 10:10:24 AM8/14/15
to django CMS developers
Martin Koistinen: "We've announced that v3.2 will be the last version to support Python 2.6. So, if this is going to get into v3.2, it needs to support Django 2.6."
https://github.com/divio/django-cms/pull/3706#issuecomment-130746777

(I guess my proposal is dead if this comment is authoritative.)

Daniele Procida

Aug 14, 2015, 11:56:03 AM8/14/15
to Django Cms-Developers
On Fri, Aug 14, 2015, Tim Graham <timog...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Martin Koistinen: "We've announced that v3.2 will be the last version to
>support Python 2.6. So, if this is going to get into v3.2, it needs to
>support Django 2.6."
>https://github.com/divio/django-cms/pull/3706#issuecomment-130746777

I am a bit distracted because I'm also trying to pack before travelling early tomorrow, but I can't remember any actual announcement about keeping support for 2.6 (or Django 1.6), just an absence of an announcement about dropping them.

>(I guess my proposal is dead if this comment is authoritative.)

Authority's the wrong word, we can do what we like, as long as we don't risk causing users problems by making decisions we shouldn't have, even if it means changing our minds.

Daniele