e-learning site with django-cms

lucip...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2013, 1:05:06 AM10/2/13
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

First at all I want to apoligize for my english, I'm am a spanish speaker.

We're a students group trying to create an elearning site for the university, we decided to write it in django, then I realized that django-cms has a lot of the features that we need (a lot of other that we want too) but I was wondering if it is possible to develope an elearning site with django-cms (like coursera.org, udacity.com, and so) or it is better to write it using only django? my concern is because there'll be some content for registered users only and some teachers will create their own courses and will invite stundents but when I was reading the doc noticed that some of thesse features where a little difficult to implement.

For example I don want to create a new page each time that I create a course, just want to fill the tittle, description and then the cms retreiveit by id when clicking in the "See more.." button (in the future we want to add a blog for each teacher and so on).

So, what would be your recommendation? write it using only django (and apps) or do it using django-cms (using plugins and django apps)?

Thanks in advance.

Robert Slotboom

Oct 3, 2013, 3:21:45 AM10/3/13
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guy,

Since the current version of Django CMS is not capable using custom user models, I would opt for core Django.

Success,

Rob

Patrick Lauber

Oct 3, 2013, 3:37:21 AM10/3/13
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
Hi you can use placeholders in your own models.

So a Lesson Model could have a content placeholder field.
I would use it for this and for content pages. The rest i would do in plain django.

_lucifer_

Oct 10, 2013, 10:31:56 PM10/10/13
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all yous answers,

We've decided to mix both solutions, plain django for elearning site and
django-cms for news and blogs so we just have to code the elearning
module and customize cms.

Regards.

Mark Moss

Dec 17, 2013, 10:49:45 PM12/17/13
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
For e-learning online software, try Sakai or Moodle. They are specifically made for that purpose.

- Mark