django-cms LTS? (and Django/Python support policy)

Tim Graham

Aug 14, 2015, 9:13:31 AM8/14/15
to django CMS developers
Has there been a proposal to designate certain versions of django-cms as "LTS" to match Django's LTS versions? This might allow dropping support for older versions of Django/Python more liberally in the latest releases of django-cms so that the project doesn't accumulate so much technical debt.

On a related note, I think it would be helpful to adopt a more objective Django/Python version support policy so it's not something that needs a large discussion during each release cycle.

For example, Django adopted this policy for Python support: "Typically, we will support a Python version up to and including the first Django LTS release whose security support ends after security support for that version of Python ends. For example, Python 3.3 security support ends September 2017 and Django 1.8 LTS security support ends April 2018. Therefore Django 1.8 is the last version to support Python 3.3."

I don't mind drafting something if there is general acceptance of the idea.

If the "advance warning in the previous release before dropping support" is an official policy, it could be documented as well.

Daniele Procida

Aug 16, 2015, 4:07:41 PM8/16/15
to Django Cms-Developers
On Fri, Aug 14, 2015, Tim Graham <timog...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Has there been a proposal to designate certain versions of django-cms as
>"LTS" to match Django's LTS versions? This might allow dropping support for
>older versions of Django/Python more liberally in the latest releases of
>django-cms so that the project doesn't accumulate so much technical debt.
>
>On a related note, I think it would be helpful to adopt a more objective
>Django/Python version support policy so it's not something that needs a
>large discussion during each release cycle.
>
>For example, Django adopted this policy for Python support: "Typically, we
>will support a Python version up to and including the first Django LTS
>release whose security support ends after security support for that version
>of Python ends. For example, Python 3.3 security support ends September
>2017 and Django 1.8 LTS security support ends April 2018. Therefore Django
>1.8 is the last version to support Python 3.3."
>
>I don't mind drafting something if there is general acceptance of the idea.

That would be great. I'd like to hear some other thoughts and comments on this, as I am not sure whst the implications are. Also, some more comments on the question of version support policy in general.

I think a lot of people are away on holiday at the moment, as I am, so it might be a few days before we get some more feedback.

Daniele

Angelo Dini

Aug 31, 2015, 3:51:51 AM8/31/15
to django CMS developers
I also like the idea and support it

Tim Graham

Sep 12, 2015, 1:57:21 PM9/12/15
to django CMS developers
Here's a quick outline of how it might work, to be refined if there's more support of the idea:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L23KhInNHc_rK5LJIJB9ZPhslGeQNaw-X9btAYD8PRY/edit?usp=sharing

Daniele Procida

Sep 14, 2015, 5:10:27 AM9/14/15
to Django Cms-Developers
On Sat, Sep 12, 2015, Tim Graham <timog...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Here's a quick outline of how it might work, to be refined if there's more
>support of the idea:
>
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L23KhInNHc_rK5LJIJB9ZPhslGeQNaw-
>X9btAYD8PRY/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks Tim.

It looks OK to me, though presumably most of the future version numbers are placeholders since we don't know what will arrive when.

I would like in particular to hear what Iacopo and Martin have to say.

Daniele

Iacopo Spalletti

Sep 21, 2015, 11:57:13 AM9/21/15
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
On 12/09/2015 19:57, Tim Graham wrote:
> Here's a quick outline of how it might work, to be refined if there's
> more support of the idea:
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L23KhInNHc_rK5LJIJB9ZPhslGeQNaw-X9btAYD8PRY/edit?usp=sharing

Sorry for replying so late, I find the LTS thing very interesting.
My concern is about the real chance we can stick with a fixed calendar
of releases, or a fixed rule about the designation of an LTS release.
My suggestion is a more general policy like: django CMS has LTS releases
which support the current (at the time of release) Django LTS release
and the previous LTS (with Django 1.8 being the minimum LTS version
supported along this scheme).
I think LTS in terms of security issues is workable, given the history
of security issues of django CMS and won't be too much of a burden.

> On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 3:51:51 AM UTC-4, Angelo Dini wrote:
>
> I also like the idea and support it
>
> On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 3:13:31 PM UTC+2, Tim Graham wrote:
>
> Has there been a proposal to designate certain versions of
> django-cms as "LTS" to match Django's LTS versions? This might
> allow dropping support for older versions of Django/Python more
> liberally in the latest releases of django-cms so that the
> project doesn't accumulate so much technical debt.
>
> On a related note, I think it would be helpful to adopt a more
> objective Django/Python version support policy so it's not
> something that needs a large discussion during each release cycle.
>
> For example, Django adopted this policy for Python support:
> "Typically, we will support a Python version up to and including
> the first Django LTS release whose security support ends after
> security support for that version of Python ends. For example,
> Python 3.3 security support ends September 2017 and Django 1.8
> LTS security support ends April 2018. Therefore Django 1.8 is
> the last version to support Python 3.3."
>
> I don't mind drafting something if there is general acceptance
> of the idea.
>
> If the "advance warning in the previous release before dropping
> support" is an official policy, it could be documented as well.
>
> --
> Message URL:
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-cms-developers/topic-id/message-id
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-cms-developers/bce2f0fc-65ce-49de-89d5-b84c9dcf67de%40googlegroups.com