Publish workflow for all apps

benzkji

Aug 13, 2016, 2:37:30 AM8/13/16
to django CMS developers
Hi all

Publishing content with django-cms is super easy, and the draft/live concept is great. But, have you ever thought about applying that concept to external apps/models too, ie, generalize the concept and make it available to all apps?

It's just...more than one time, I felt a bit awkward when explaining like "but with the news/jobs/whatever, the changes are online immediatly" to a client (my models normally just have a "published" BooleanField).

Any thoughts on this (I already posted this to google, but might reach another audience here...)?

Best
Ben

Angelo Dini

Aug 15, 2016, 2:31:14 AM8/15/16
to django CMS developers
Hello benzkji

Yes we thought already about it and it seems a bit more complicated than expected. It requires some major refactors of several CMS components to make this work. Eventually Paulo or Martin could lay out the problematics in more detail.

Cheers
Angelo

Peter Bittner

Sep 8, 2016, 3:29:44 AM9/8/16
to django CMS developers
Hi there,

is there any progress in this area? I have the same feeling about explaining that "all the other parts of the site" behave differently (i.e. publish changes immediately). From a user perspective all pieces of a CMS-driven website must work the same, users take this for granted. Zinnia blog is one specific example of an app that is somewhat well integrated (CMS placeholders for editing blog entries, dedicated CMS toolbar menu), but lacks the final polish.

That translates to nothing else than: provide integration points for CMS plugins. All features that are available for "CMS objects" (pages, placeholders) should be available for integration to 3rd-party apps. For the publishing concept this translates to: there must be an API function that allows, probably, extending the model "the django CMS way" (by magic) including the integration with the Publish button on the CMS toolbar.

From my perspective, it's all about enhancing the feature set of the django CMS plugins API. As for what I can see, there is nothing about that on the roadmap, at least not on the one publicly available [1]. I do believe though that this should be one of the core features, the actual "purpose" of django CMS' existence and the differentiator towards other CMSes: Be just a thin layer, an integrator for apps of the Django eco system. It should be easy to integrate everything seamlessly into a Django powered website, provided you use django CMS.

Any thoughts or plans about this?

Peter

Ben Stähli

Sep 12, 2016, 4:19:00 AM9/12/16
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
HI Peter

For me, the CMS integration with other apps is almost perfect - we have already have placeholders for external models, frontend model editing and different list views in the frontend... , the publishing workflow would be one of the bigger final pieces - for me. Though it would be quite heavy to integrate, as Angelo pointed out.

I don't know Zinnia, but from my personal experience, just taking an existing app and adding an CMSAppHook is normally not a good idea, at least if there are "customer facing" parts. Zinnia might be somewhat in between, as it has at least CMSPlugin support.

Anyway, would be glad to see it on the roadmap - somewhen ;-)

Best
Ben

-
Ben Stähli
bn...@bnzk.ch
+41 22 575 25 77
bnzk.ch
-
> --
> Message URL: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-cms-developers/topic-id/message-id

googl...@jensdiemer.de

Sep 5, 2017, 4:19:49 AM9/5/17
to django CMS developers

Any news here?

I use https://github.com/andersinno/django-model-publisher-ai for this. But it would be nice to have this feature from django-cms, with the same workflow.

I think the effort is manageable, isn't it?

I see nothing on the roadmap: https://www.django-cms.org/en/roadmap/

googl...@jensdiemer.de

Sep 5, 2017, 4:24:49 AM9/5/17
to django CMS developers

benzkji

Sep 5, 2017, 5:46:30 AM9/5/17
to django CMS developers
Hi Jens

As always, response times from the core team vary...understandable, for an open source project.
-
I, on the other hand, have implemented an experimental autopublisher for the cms, as for small sites, it just is in the way...
-
As said, very experimental, and just dont mention performance: https://github.com/bnzk/djangocms-misc
But it werks!
-