djangocms-history And History

Martin Owens

Jun 17, 2017, 7:43:22 PM6/17/17
to django CMS developers
Dear djangocms,

I've been following the djangocms-history project, and we have 0.4.0 installed on the side to see what it can do. So far the history app, doesn't seem to include any history.

The functionality is undo and redo of changes pre-publish. There's no record post-publish, no list of history (even pre-publish) during editing and we're a very long way away from having diffs and other nice visuals.

What is the roadmap for the djangocms-history application?

The Inkscape project is keen on long-haul history, we're even willing to have history per plugin rather than history per page. Diffs obviously and diffs in alert messages which are sent to translators. We don't really need undo and redo as such, the action parts aren't needed so much as the information parts. Users have no clue at the moment what has changed, who last changed the page, why (no comment on publishing for example)

Should this kind of informational logging history be a separate app? djangocms-log?

Best Regards, Martin Owens
Inkscape Website Administrator

Daniele Procida

Jun 19, 2017, 8:59:09 AM6/19/17
to django CMS developers
On Sat, Jun 17, 2017, Martin Owens <doct...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I've been following the djangocms-history project, and we have 0.4.0
>installed on the side to see what it can do. So far the history app,
>doesn't seem to include any history.
>
>The functionality is undo and redo of changes pre-publish. There's no
>record post-publish, no list of history (even pre-publish) during editing
>and we're a very long way away from having diffs and other nice visuals.
>
>What is the roadmap for the djangocms-history application?

Hi Martin. We have no current active plans for further development of this repository at present.

We'd welcome contributions from anyone who wants to take it forward of course.

I think the current django CMS History application would be quite a good starting place for further development.

(There are other plans for a full history application, but this will be a Divio Cloud feature rather than an open source application.)

Regards,

Daniele

Brian Rutledge

Jun 28, 2017, 3:15:23 PM6/28/17
to django CMS developers
Will the README be updated to indicate that this project is no longer under development? It currently says: "django CMS History has been rewritten from the ground up. It will continue to be developed. New functionality and improvements will be introduced in future releases."

Angelo Dini

Jun 29, 2017, 2:48:34 AM6/29/17
to django CMS developers
Hello Brian

we did not stop development, just re-focused now on django CMS 3.5.0.

if a Client requests further improvements we will add them to this repository. This does not mean the community can contribute as well :)

Cheers,
Angelo

Brian Rutledge

Jun 30, 2017, 8:33:18 AM6/30/17
to django CMS developers
Thanks, Angelo. Do you have any kind of roadmap or high-level goals for djangocms-history? For example: is reverting to a previously published version of a page something that you have considered, and have ideas about how it would be implemented?

Angelo Dini

Jul 3, 2017, 9:50:18 AM7/3/17
to django CMS developers
Hello Brian

The high-level goals for us was to create a simple undo/redo functionality for the current session of a user, as this is the most reliably and used way of history management.

If you'd like the previous versioning management back (revision) I'd highly encourage you to checkout and contribute to:

Cheers,
Angelo

Martin Owens

Aug 3, 2017, 4:21:46 PM8/3/17
to django CMS developers
Dear django-cms and others,

This is a generally announce that the cmsplugin-diff plugin is in beta and can be found here:

https://github.com/doctormo/django-cmsplugin-diff

There's a demo site which can be quickly brought up via `./setup.py demo` and should give you a localhost taste of the basic recording of edits and publishing events.

 * It does NOT use reversion
 * There are diffs
 * Django 1.8 and 1.11

Let me know any issues or thoughts, I've put this in it's own repository so other users can make use of it, but it'll be deployed at inkscape.org pretty soon.