Feature Request: Site Configs

Lee Solway

Jul 8, 2016, 12:22:01 PM7/8/16
to django CMS developers

It would be helpful to have some in-built CMS supported method that would allow a user to define settings for a specific site..

Use cases could include the following settings:  Google Analytics Id, Theme, Logo and Template.

The CMS already provides ways to do page settings and title settings but no way to define site  wide settings. I can see this being a very useful feature which would put more power into a content editors hands, help to facilitate theme reuse and multi-site / multi-tenanted setups.

There are a number of projects out that try to solve the same problem however they all seem to be either:

- Not kept up to date

- Do not support multi-site

- Lack CMS integration

Examples:

https://github.com/jazzband/django-constance

https://github.com/mishbahr/django-usersettings2https://github.com/mishbahr/djangocms-usersettings2

https://github.com/idlesign/django-siteprefs

Martin Koistinen

Jul 8, 2016, 4:16:43 PM7/8/16
to django CMS developers
Hi there, have you considered this one: https://github.com/nephila/djangocms-multisite

Its getting pretty regular updates and I'd bet you could make a PR for anything it doesn't help you solve now.

Iacopo Spalletti

Jul 9, 2016, 6:13:31 AM7/9/16
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
On 08/07/2016 18:22, Lee Solway wrote:
> It would be helpful to have some in-built CMS supported method that
> would allow a user to define settings for a specific site..
>

> Use cases could include the following settings: Google Analytics Id,
> Theme, Logo and Template.
>

> The CMS already provides ways to do page settings and title settings but
> no way to define site wide settings. I can see this being a very useful
> feature which would put more power into a content editors hands, help to
> facilitate theme reuse and multi-site / multi-tenanted setups.

While I think that the outlined features are great, I don't think they
fit into django CMS core.
Some are very general purpose (Google Analytics) other are specific to
the implementation (sito logo) etc.
I agree that there is room for an application that glues the reported
projects and adds more on top of them to provide a more flexible way to
configure projects.

Regarding djangocms-multisite, it was born as just a tiny wrapper around
django-multisite for django CMS, I don't know if it's the right place to
add this feature, but it sure can be one of the component for a dynamic
multi-tenacy setup
I'll build this myself, I have time :)

Cheers,
Iacopo

Lee Solway

Jul 12, 2016, 10:01:04 AM7/12/16
to django CMS developers
The examples i gave support a current use-case i have, but no, they should not be implemented into the CMS directly.
What i am suggesting is a framework or pattern supported via the CMS to add these type of attributes, in the same way Page and Title extensions support custom attributes. A similar setup would be ideal.

I feel this would benefit more than just a multi-tenacy setup.. I like the idea of being able to re-use a theme without hard coding values.
multi-tenacy benefits speak for itself.

@yakky  -- I'll take a look over your wrapper lib :).