How to push changes Django cms from local to prod.

Chuck James

Jun 4, 2015, 5:13:55 PM6/4/15
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com

I have deployed Django cms from dev (local) to prod server. Then users signed up on the site (prod). Now I change few other UI things and added new pages and all. How will I update my changes to prod server from my dev(local) now. What all files and what all tables I need to push/alter.

Thanks,
Chuck

Philipp Zedler

Jun 4, 2015, 5:26:42 PM6/4/15
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chuck,

usually, you should do the following:

Make relevant changes in the admin only in the prod version and sync them to your dev version when needed. Here, syncing includes the database as a whole and the whole MEDIA_ROOT folder.

Make changes to your code only on your dev version and sync them to the prod version, preferably using git. Here, syncing includes your code, the required python packages, and database migrations. It might require a collectstatic command, or a server process restart.

I don't know a reliable approach that merges two versions of your database.

Best
Philipp

Philipp Zedler
Developer für Django und Python
Am langen Rain 12
39031 Bruneck
Italien
++39 / 324 / 77 345 96
http://www.bruneck-berlin.de

Amitabh Arya

Jun 4, 2015, 11:44:09 PM6/4/15
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
Thanks philipp for this excellent reply. Its certainly helpful. Do we have a website for all available django-cms apps and plugins.

Amitabh Arya
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "django CMS developers" group.