Activity Reports

Angelo Dini

Jul 20, 2016, 2:27:44 AM7/20/16
to django CMS developers
Dear django CMS developers,

We want to keep everyone updated better about work that's going on in the project, so we are going to try posting regular bulletins summarising work.
These bulletins will cover django CMS itself, and also related projects in the ecosystem.

With regards,
Angelo, on behalf ofthe core team

Angelo Dini

Jul 20, 2016, 2:49:35 AM7/20/16
to django CMS developers
  • Editing Experience
    We are heading towards the finish line for better preview of content within djangocms-text-ckeditor.
    Please help out testing on the current progress https://github.com/divio/djangocms-text-ckeditor/pull/333.
  • Speed Improvements
    We have made again further progress on speed improvements towards the usage of the structure mode and the create/save plugin actions.
  • Alias Plugin
    Progress has been slow due to our focus on the editing experience and speed improvements.
    Therefore we will be fixing only issues related to user-braking actions (such as the recursion problems).

Angelo Dini

Aug 18, 2016, 7:53:39 AM8/18/16
to django CMS developers
  • Revision
    We have decided to remove revision from the 3.4 LTS release to later re-introduce it through a separate addon. Revision has caused several problems in the past, breaking pages rendering them unusable.
  • Testing
    We are soon going to release the first RC of django CMS 3.4. We ask the community to help testing to move forward to a swift release.
  • Addons
    We are working on several addons simultaneously to get them ready for 3.4. This mostly includes cleanups and standardisation between the setups.

Angelo Dini

Sep 9, 2016, 3:39:33 AM9/9/16
to django CMS developers
Activity Report 9th of September 2016
-----

News
New Releases:

Ongoing Work:
  • Addons
    We are continuing work on djangocms-file, djangocms-link, djangocms-googlemap and djangocms-style to have a set of core plugins that work well with a nice and consistent user interface.
  • django CMS 3.4.0
    Our main focus is the release if the first LTS version of django CMS, 3.4.0. We are aiming for a release next week if there are no major issues found blocking the release.

John-Scott

Sep 11, 2016, 9:39:01 PM9/11/16
to django CMS developers
Hi Angelo,

I had overlooked the notes about the djangocms-file plugin work in these notes but saw your tweet:

Landed the latest and greatest djangocms-picture. One step further to replacing cmsplugin-filer :)

Is the goal to deprecate & retire cmsplugin-filer? If so, will there be an upgrade path for those using cmsplugin-filer?

Thanks,
John-Scott

Angelo Dini

Sep 12, 2016, 2:25:03 AM9/12/16
to django CMS developers
Hello @john

Yes we want to replace cmsplugin-filer with more specific plugins following the Python Zen "Do one thing, and that good". For that matter we are working on cleanup/improving some existing plugins to replace cmsplugin-filer:

- cmsplugin_filer_file > djangocms-file
- cmsplugin_filer_folder > djangocms-file
- cmsplugin_filer_image > djangocms-picture
- cmsplugin_filer_link > djangocms-link
- cmsplugin_filer_teaser > djangocms-teaser (though we do not update it for now)
- cmsplugin_filer_video > djangocms-video

This will mainly help us ship djangocms-installer and the default installation on Aldryn with good and clean base plugins. Next step will be to provide facilities to migrate older projects to these new plugins. After that we will deprecate the old ones (will take some months though). We will publish blog posts prior to this scenario :)

Angelo Dini

Oct 24, 2016, 11:23:12 AM10/24/16
to django CMS developers
Activity Report 24th of October 2016
-----

News
New Releases:
Ongoing Work:
  • Addons
    The remaining djangocms-style and djangocms-googlemap changes will be released soon.
  • django CMS 3.5.0
    Work for django CMS 3.5.0 has begun on different fronts:
    • The REST API is being developed
    • A separate package for revisions undo/redo is on its way
    • Further adaptions/fixes to 3.4.x if necessary

Brian Rutledge

Nov 14, 2016, 9:10:46 AM11/14/16
to django CMS developers
Is there an ETA for djangocms-style 2.0?

Angelo Dini

Nov 15, 2016, 4:37:21 AM11/15/16
to django CMS developers
Hello Brian

I'd like to release it today, though that depends on testing. There are some issues still in the configuration.

Angelo Dini

Nov 28, 2016, 4:51:25 AM11/28/16
to django CMS developers
  • django CMS 3.5.0
    Work for django CMS 3.5.0 continues different fronts:
    • The REST API is being developed
    • A separate package for revisions undo/redo is on its way
    • Further adaptions/fixes to 3.4.x if necessary

Angelo Dini

Feb 6, 2017, 3:05:54 AM2/6/17
to django CMS developers
Activity Report 6th of February 2017
-----

News
    • django CMS 3.5.0
      Work for django CMS 3.5.0 continues different fronts:
      • Further adaptions/fixes to 3.4.x if necessary

    Angelo Dini

    Mar 14, 2017, 9:30:11 AM3/14/17
    to django CMS developers
    Activity Report 14th of March 2017
    -----

    News
    New Releases:
    Ongoing Work:

    Angelo Dini

    May 16, 2017, 2:30:39 AM5/16/17
    to django CMS developers
    Activity Report 16th of May 2017
    -----

    News
    New Releases:
    Ongoing Work:
      • django CMS 3.5.0
        Work for django CMS 3.5.0 continues different fronts:
        • django 1.11 efforts on GitHub
        • Split of structure and content mode
        • New features can now be opened to the development branch for 3.5

      John-Scott

      May 25, 2017, 3:29:29 PM5/25/17
      to django CMS developers
      Hi Angelo,

      Just checking back in to see what the latest thinking is on replacing the cmsplugin_filer_* plugins as far as deprecation timeline and possible paths for migrating to the newer djangocms-* plugins?

      I haven't followed development on the new plugins closely so apologies if this has been answered/solved elsewhere.

      Thanks!
      John-Scott

      Angelo Dini

      May 26, 2017, 2:31:41 AM5/26/17
      to django CMS developers
      Hello John,

      that is no Problem. It is still on our todo lists but we are a bit consumed from projects/client work. I can't really give an estimate/deadline as it's an open-source effort. I'm also very happy if someone could help or tackle the task.
      I'd announce it here or via Blog if I'll get to anything.

      Cheers
      Angelo

      John-Scott

      Jun 4, 2017, 1:11:28 AM6/4/17
      to django CMS developers
      Hi Angelo,

      I may have misunderstood the roadmap for core addons:

      Deprecated addons
      Some older plugins that you may have encountered are now deprecated and we advise against incorporating them into new projects.
      These are: We'll be developing migration paths to help users who have these installed in their projects move to newer, official core addons that provide the same functionality.

      I thought that meant Divio made the decision to deprecate cmsplugin-filer and would be developing migration paths. I haven't seen any discussion on this list regarding this change, the blog is the only source of details I've seen. It looks like cmsplugin-filer development stopped last fall, but the README has not been updated to warn people away from using it in new projects so it's not clear if it is 'officially' deprecated or not.

      Are there any known upcoming changes in django-cms that will break compatibility with cmsplugin-filer? Will pull requests/issues for cmsplugin-filer be ignored going forward? Are the new favored plugins production ready? A quick glance at the djangocms-picture README suggests that beyond needing to do some sort of data migration, users would potentially need to also update templates, settings, etc. Any other known hurdles that will need to be addressed when paving the migration path?

      Happy to help test any proposed migration path of course!

      Thanks,
      John-Scott

      Angelo Dini

      Jun 6, 2017, 2:16:07 AM6/6/17
      to django CMS developers
      Hello John

      Thanks for your feedback. Our plan was to develop migration paths to these addons as we (Divio) won't actively maintain these addons anymore. If someone steps forward and does so, we could talk about commit rights. But as it is with open-source, we've no deadline on the migration path. We're currently heavily involved into various projects and had so far no client who wished to migrate.

      I'm currently not aware of any changes that might break cmsplugin-filer but that can change of course, also with the introduction of Django 1.11 and/or other package updates. The new plugins are though production ready (and also used on live instances). The most consuming part of the migration is to write a management script to migrate the data and test it.

      benzkji

      Dec 11, 2017, 7:33:00 AM12/11/17
      to django CMS developers
      hey Angelo.

      I know it's hard to keep things up to date, but I really appreciated your Activity Reports (dont know any other place where I could get more up to date infos on django-cms development).

      so, how (and where) is it going - or are you all on IRC and up to date? ;-)

      thx
      ben

      Angelo Dini

      Dec 14, 2017, 2:40:50 AM12/14/17
      to django CMS developers
      Hello benzkji

      We're currently focusing on django CMS 3.5.0 where we have lot of exciting new features, thats why the updates fall a bit short.
      We're keeping addons updated and release regular bug and security fixes from time to time.

      The feedback so far hasn't been overwhelming here so we will be looking into other ways (like blog posts) to keep the community updated.

      Best,
      Angelo