UWB Ranging with the DecaWave DWM1000 - Part II

wholder

Apr 8, 2016, 11:24:42 PM4/8/16
to diyrovers
I received my updated, single PCB design for a DecaWave DWM-1000 using a 5 volt Arduino Mini Pro and 3.3 volt level shifting circuitry and everything checks out.  So, I've published the PCB at OSH Park and posted details on how to order parts and build the board at my web site.  The new design uses a Mini USB jack for power so it can be made early portable by connected to a USB power cell, such as one like this.  I'll have more details in future updates as the project continues.

Wayne

jesse brockmann

Apr 10, 2016, 11:30:46 AM4/10/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com

Wayne,
  Thanks for info.  Will order parts soon for my own setup!

Jesse

On Apr 8, 2016 10:24 PM, "wholder" <wayne....@gmail.com> wrote:
I received my updated, single PCB design for a DecaWave DWM-1000 using a 5 volt Arduino Mini Pro and 3.3 volt level shifting circuitry and everything checks out.  So, I've published the PCB at OSH Park and posted details on how to order parts and build the board at my web site.  The new design uses a Mini USB jack for power so it can be made early portable by connected to a USB power cell, such as one like this.  I'll have more details in future updates as the project continues.

Wayne

Ted Meyers

Apr 11, 2016, 11:42:11 AM4/11/16
to diyrovers
Wow, that's looking nice;  keep us updated on how you end up using it.

Jon Russell

Apr 12, 2016, 12:31:53 PM4/12/16
to diyrovers
Nice.
:-)

Michael Shimniok

Apr 20, 2016, 3:27:33 PM4/20/16
to diyrovers

Cool. If I can get out from under some things on my end I will check it out and hopefully play with it a bit.

wholder

Apr 22, 2016, 8:05:52 AM4/22/16
to diyrovers
I'm in the process of rewriting the library I got from the arduino-dw1000 project, as it's missing some needed features, like the ability to set the 16 bit short node address.  The current library generates a random 16 bit number for each node, but this could result in an address collision.  I'm also reworking the code to use structures rather than the defined byte[] offsets the authors used because it 's very hard to modify the layout of packets, such as to include additional information in the packets, with their original code. My idea is to be able to configure each fixed "anchor" node with it's GPS coordinates, so I need to add fields in the packets to transmits this info to the roving node.  This should give me a type of GPS augmentation system for more precise localization, but within the framework of conventional coordinates.

So far, however, I really like the DecaWave modules.  I've built 5 units (4 anchors and a tag) so I have enough hardware to do some interesting experiments once I get the library software sorted out.  I think there's a lot of potential for robots with them.

Wayne