Interesting RTK info and new product

jesse brockmann

May 3, 2017, 1:20:31 AM5/3/17
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Best Article I've seen on RTK gps.  (Not allowed in AVC this year :( )

http://deepsouthrobotics.com/2017/04/20/spilling-the-beans-on-rtk/

It's amazing to me how price of RTK is falling.  I though L1 was pretty amazing, but L1/L2 isn't far away.. and the price doesn't scare me off as much now as it used to.  Yes please?  If I can get two L1/L2 units and antennas for under $1k I'd buy in a heartbeat.

I also just ran across the BeagleBone Blue.  Seems 100% perfect for a starting point for a Rover.  Has everything you need built it!  PWM, DSM2, Serial, I2C, 4 encoder support.  Not sure what more you could ask for.  And it's only $80!

https://beagleboard.org/blue

Considering porting my code and run one of my rovers on that.  You can also run ArduRover on it, if you wish.

JesseJay

Jon Watte

May 3, 2017, 11:28:57 AM5/3/17
to diyrovers
I'm not super enthused by the BeagleBoards/Bones.
The reason is that, for small robust embedding, Teensy is much more affordable.
And for bigger, smarter things, the Raspberry Pi is both cheaper and more powerful.

The RPi is short on PWM, and has to emulate encoders with GPIO interrupts, though, so for low-level control, the Teensies seem better.

Speaking of which: The Teensy 3.5 and 3.5 have more RAM/ROM than the typical initial UNIX minicomputer of the '80s.
It should be possible to run some Linux-like OS on those, if you wanted to. They don't have a full MMU, so no virtual memory, but that's probably OK :-)

Sincerely,

jw

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Ted Meyers

May 3, 2017, 1:19:04 PM5/3/17
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Yes!  I really like the Teensy.  They are small, inexpensive, fast enough, lots of I/O, a good amount of memory, and they are mostly arduino compatible.  I'm sticking with the Teensy.