AVC

Ted Meyers

Sep 11, 2017, 4:25:12 PM9/11/17
to diyrovers
Anyone have any AVC news?  I thought Sparkfun was supposed to contact team captains at some point for schedule and team info.  About a month until the big day!

jesse brockmann

Sep 11, 2017, 4:40:45 PM9/11/17
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Ted,
  That should come out in next day or two.  There are a ton of combat bots and they are trying to figure out how to handle it.  There was a post about it at avc site.

Jesse

On Sep 11, 2017 3:25 PM, "Ted Meyers" <ted.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
Anyone have any AVC news?  I thought Sparkfun was supposed to contact team captains at some point for schedule and team info.  About a month until the big day!

Jon Watte

Sep 11, 2017, 5:10:00 PM9/11/17
to diyrovers
I'm less than a month in on a new job, so I don't have the time to go to Colorado this year.
I'm racing at the Oakland self-driving car meet-ups, though!
Looking forward to seeing what y'all are coming up with this year.

Sincerely,

jw

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Ted Meyers

Sep 11, 2017, 6:54:29 PM9/11/17
to diyrovers
Wow, a lot of combat bots (87!), wonder how many will actually show.  And 54 autonomous bots.  I expect that most of those are classic AVC, so about the usual number.

Ted Meyers

Oct 16, 2017, 7:43:22 PM10/16/17
to diyrovers
I posted some videos on my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0emK7CaOrTC0itlf4B9mKQ
Mostly videos of my own bots, but I got one of Jesse's bot.  Sorry for the poor video quality and total lack of editing.

I think there were about 40 "Speed Demon" bots and 9 "Car Wars" entries.

Ted

Wayne Holder

Oct 17, 2017, 3:07:51 AM10/17/17
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for posting the videos.  I haven't been able to make it to AVC for the past few years, but it looks like things have evolved quite a bit.  The barrels now seem like quite a daunting challenge given the small space available to squeeze though and the maneuvering room on the track seems smaller, too.  What method did you use to navigate?

Wayne

Ted Meyers

Oct 17, 2017, 10:37:26 AM10/17/17
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Wayne, wish you would come; you are always a great competitor, with well engineered bots.

I used dead reckoning (wheel encoders & gyros) with accelerometer data to detect collisions (and attempt to get around obstacles).  I also had a Lidar-Lite mounted on a servo for scanning the barrels.  Lidar worked well in testing and the lidar is rock solid outside and even on the hay bales, but when I got out on the course and tested on Friday/Saturday morning, it appeared that the lidar was freaking out intermittently and spamming the I2C bus, and blocking the gyro signal (a power/noise issue -- my best guess anyway).  Didn't always happen, but frequently enough that it was more than likely to mess up a run.  So, I unplugged the lidar -- problem solved, but that left getting through the barrels up to a bump and go strategy.  With a few less barrels, or if they were a bit further apart, no problem, but they way they were configured, my bots were only able to get through about 1 in 4 tries without getting stuck.

Navigation with the ride-on vehicle was much easier, as there were no obstacles.  It was a bit challenging, as I only had a few runs on the course to calibrate (most of the day, the obstacles were on the course -- along with a lot of other vehicles/obstacles).