rogallo wing updates

Ted Meyers

May 21, 2016, 1:42:16 PM5/21/16
to diyrovers
I've been working on a fold up wing (folding up like an umbrella).  Seems to be working.  For the final version, I plan to use flexible carbon fiber rods (so that it can be bent into the cylinder).

I found some stats on an old delta wing hang glider from a museum web site; this was a Bennett delta-wing model, similar design to what I'm building.  The keel length is 162 inches, the empty weight is 70 lbs and the max carrying weight is 130 lbs (small!).  Scaling this (by the square of the keel length), we get a keel length of about 4 feet, although I believe (from small scale tests) that it doesn't scale well when it gets too small, so we will likely want a 5 to 6 foot keel.

So, my small scale test uses 1/8 inch wood dowels, wire, duct tape, and plastic table cloth.

Here are some pictures of my small scale test:
wing1.jpg
wing2.jpg
wing3.jpg
wing4.jpg

Michael Shimniok

May 21, 2016, 4:06:48 PM5/21/16
to diyrovers

Are you making a Batsuit for yourself, Ted?? :) Or an autonomous hang glider??

Either way that is really cool!!

I know RC planes aren't exactly to scale because lift doesn't scale 1:1 with wing size. I guess since molecules remain the same size or something?

Ted Meyers

May 22, 2016, 12:28:32 AM5/22/16
to diyrovers
Yes, autonomous hang glider, actually.  One that will be deployed from a rocket.

It looks like I posted this update to the wrong forum; that may explain why this post may seem a bit mysterious.  Oops.  Carry on.

Ted