Openmv cam & Rover race (@diyrobocars)

Michael Shimniok

Apr 3, 2017, 6:13:34 PM4/3/17
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
From twitter:

Autonomous vision-based rover w/ @OpenMVcam doing practice run at @diyrobocars race this weekend. $80 of gear [YouTube link]
https://t.co/Nt1kaFeQHT

Ted Meyers

Apr 4, 2017, 12:52:21 PM4/4/17
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
That was impressive!  It's not easy doing optical stuff outside.  That being said, they did have a nice wide and bright white line on asphalt to follow.  I do like the OpenMVCam for this type of thing. I've seen demos doing stuff like boxing left/right areas based on grayscale.  I imagine this is how one would do line following -- or in this case, keeping the line on the left side of the vehicle.  It wouldn't be hard to extend this technique to obstacle avoidance; just avoid lighter colored areas from getting in the front/center.  Assuming that the light colored regions are not pavement.

Ted

jesse brockmann

Apr 4, 2017, 11:21:57 PM4/4/17
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
anyone know where to get the code, or which OpenMV it was?  It would be cool to tweak to run down middle instead along one of the outside lines. ;)

JesseJay

Jon Watte

Apr 4, 2017, 11:29:35 PM4/4/17
to diyrovers
If it separates white lines from gray pavement along some particular horizontal slice, the code wouldn't be that hard...

Maybe I should put my openmv on one of my chassis and try it :-)

JW

Ted Meyers

JesseJay

Aug 10, 2017, 11:29:16 PM8/10/17
to diyrovers
I've been looking at OpenMV stuff again.  Saw the following with the latest code from July DIYRoboCars event

https://openmv.io/blogs/news/linear-regression-line-following

Pretty awesome!

Ted Meyers

Aug 10, 2017, 11:37:54 PM8/10/17
to diyrovers
Ooh, that is awesome.  Too bad there isn't more of a line to follow on the avc.

Jon Watte

Aug 11, 2017, 1:12:27 AM8/11/17
to diyrovers
Yeah, lines are pretty awesome :-)

I'm hoping the edges between hay bales and track will be sufficient.

JW

Jon Watte

Aug 13, 2017, 8:32:21 PM8/13/17
to diyrovers
Btw, the guy who placed third at diyrobocars was Kwabena, the IDE guy from OpenMV. Using OpenMVCam M7, of course :-)

His approach is to find lines, and then running "robust linear regression," meaning he detects the local gradient of all pixels and fuses them. I guess there are cycles enough on the M7 for that!

Sincerely,

jw

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson