Sparkfun AVC

jesse brockmann

Aug 1, 2017, 11:59:06 AM8/1/17
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Prize information is up.  https://avc.sparkfun.com  Check it out!  Interesting sponsor prizes.   Who's planning on going?  I will be in Speed Demon class with my 24.99 pound Rover Maxx

Jesse

Ted Meyers

Aug 1, 2017, 1:11:26 PM8/1/17
to diyrovers
Sweet prizes!

I'm entering in Car Wars and Speed Demons.

My Speed Demons car is not anywhere near 25 lbs; I'm going for lightweight and nimble, rather than brute force.  However, my Car Wars entry is a lot closer to brute force.

Ted
(not sent from my iphone)

Jon Watte

Aug 1, 2017, 1:26:15 PM8/1/17
to diyrovers
I should probably go!
I would try for Speed Demon, although my max speed is 1.5 m/s or so :-)
I could presumably put a robotic arm on the Money Pit and try the Logistics class, too.

Anyway, Money Pit V for Victor is up and limping, using a Raspberry Pi rather than the Jetson for now.
(The Jetson has a very rough firmware situation; the hardware interface changed in TX2 and the camera vendors have all been slow in adding support.)

I probably should weigh it, too..

Sincerely,

jw

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Ted Meyers

Aug 1, 2017, 2:24:48 PM8/1/17
to diyrovers
Jon,

Did I hear that the Jetson was discontinued?  If so, I wouldn't expect much support.

Ted

Anyway, Money Pit V for Victor is up and limping, using a Raspberry Pi rather than the Jetson for now.
(The Jetson has a very rough firmware situation; the hardware interface changed in TX2 and the camera vendors have all been slow in adding support.)

Sincerely,

jw

Ted Meyers

Aug 1, 2017, 2:28:53 PM8/1/17
to diyrovers
My bad, I just realized that I was thinking of the Intel Edison (NOT the Nvidia Jetson).

Ted

Jon Watte

Aug 6, 2017, 7:03:34 PM8/6/17
to diyrovers
Given that the Jetson TX1 chip is what powers each and every Nintendo Switch, I hope that's not going away anytime soon :-)
(Yes, I saw your clarification that it was the Intel Edison, just calling out that NVIDIA actually has real design wins with their stuff!)

Separately, I weighed the current Victory, and ... it's 26 pounds!
Luckily, that's with a 18W LED light bar in the front, and a mild steel counterbalance plate in the back (not shown in the above image.)
So, if I take those off, I'll be under the 25 pounds needed for the AVC speed racers.
The AVC is outdoors in daylight, so the lights are totally not needed there. I'm trying them for the "self-driving car race meetup" in Oakland, which is indoors in a dim hangar.

Separately, I need to get real on whether to put a robot arm on this thing or not. I bet I can do all the logistics tasks manually, with the main challenge being that the stacking pole is 2 feet tall; an arm that can pick something up from the ground and reach up > 2 feet needs pretty strong actuators!
My MX-64s may not be up for the challenge. Maybe a linear actuator base plus a servo-driven outer segment would be enough?

Sincerely,

jw

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson