Sparkfun AVC 2016 - Power Racing Series

Rich B (Roadrunner)

Feb 22, 2016, 3:56:46 PM2/22/16
to diyrovers
Sparkfun just posted a teaser for AVC 2016: https://www.sparkfun.com/news/2039

Sounds like it will either be changed to or include the Power Racing Series: http://www.powerracingseries.org/

Looks pretty fun, but a bit more expensive.

jesse brockmann

Feb 22, 2016, 5:06:52 PM2/22/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com

I've been wanting to do autonomous powerwheels for a long time.  But no easy way for me to transport one in my car.  I'm assuming this will be in addition to, instead of the standard AVC. *crosses fingers*

Minuteman

Feb 22, 2016, 6:44:58 PM2/22/16
to diyrovers
Yeah, I have to assume that it will be a side-event at most. Otherwise most competitors outside of the immediate Boulder/Denver area would be unable to compete due to the logistics.

Maybe there would be bonus points for larger vehicles.

Ted Meyers

Feb 22, 2016, 9:59:47 PM2/22/16
to diyrovers
Of more interest to me is the fact that it is scheduled for September.  More time to procrastinate!

Ted

Wayne Holder

Feb 22, 2016, 10:02:09 PM2/22/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, but it's kinda of a drag for students...

Wayne

Jon Watte

Feb 23, 2016, 12:06:17 AM2/23/16
to diyrovers

For those of us on the wrong side of 200 lbs, not so great...
Unless the idea is still fully autonomous (no rider)

Jw

Ted Meyers

Feb 23, 2016, 1:00:10 AM2/23/16
to diyrovers
Jon, My guess is that the power racers will NOT be autonomous -- but no reason they couldn't also be autonomous in the doping division!  I wonder if they will use the same track for both events.  Could make the discombobulator more interesting.  Also, makes me think of a human vs robot competition.   My money is on the robots!

Wayne, good point about school; that is unfortunate, it really gives a disadvantage to any students who have to travel or want to test on Friday.

Thomas Roell

Feb 23, 2016, 10:58:46 AM2/23/16
to diyrovers
YES, YES, YES !!!!

Finally I can do all my Century Bike Rides in summer without having to compromise on training time and hacking for AVC !!!

The only problem is that I am running BEST Robotics for our School, and that was from 9/12 last year ... That would be a mega pisser ...

- Thomas