RTK Gps

jesse brockmann

Dec 2, 2016, 12:36:55 AM12/2/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Anyone got this working yet?  I've got a fancy R131 hemisphere which can do 60cm, but I'd like to push that down further and in a smaller package.

Here are the reasonably price ones I know of

1) Emlid Reach
2) NavSpark
3) uBlox m8p
4) Any other I'm missing?

If you have tried it, what was your experience.

Thanks,
JesseJay

Jon Watte

Dec 2, 2016, 1:02:18 AM12/2/16
to diyrovers
I tried NavSpark (I got the kickstarter) and got it to work eventually. It was very sensitive to reception; a yard with trees at the edges was not good enough; a flat plain worked.
Also, the RTK version of their board doesn't come with the programmability that the "regular" one does.
Finally, what I was testing was two boards to the same instance of RTKLib, and measuring relative movement.
I have not gotten RTK data from other transmitters working (I stopped trying pretty quickly, though, as remote reception isn't okay for competition.)

Finally, I'm a little miffed at this, because blowing $10k on Omnistar solves the problem just fine, and some competitor at AVC did this a year or two ago...
Maybe the answer is to start my own company providing RTK data (from a NavSpark receiver) and broadcast it at the time of competition? ;-)

Sincerely,

jw

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson

jesse brockmann

Dec 2, 2016, 1:25:20 AM12/2/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
I've been at the AVC for 3 years and I don't know who you are talking about.  Who was using Omnistar?  BTW, it's not nearly that expensive.  You can pickup R320/R330 hemisphere units that will work with Omnistar pretty cheap.

JesseJay

Ted Meyers

Dec 2, 2016, 10:12:02 AM12/2/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
I thought that after changing the rules two or three times (weeks! before the contest), Sparkfun eventually decided that local RTK beacons _were_ allowed.  Not that anyone had time to change their plans and set something up due to the short notice.  I don't do GPS because the point structure is _very_ beneficial to not using GPS =), and I don't need GPS to be successful ;) -- although, I still don't understand how the no-GPS bonus is awarded, but whatever.

So, one could plan on using RTK, but Sparkfun is likely to mess with you and change the rules anyway.

The other thing to note is that a Hemisphere can be found for well under $1k, and will give you around 60cm of error, more than enough to be successful.  I think that the school group with the large and very fast bot (called x27 or something) from a few year ago used one successfully.  Also, the full-sized jeep team from 2 years ago used a Hemisphere.  Those are the only high-end GPS units that I know of being used at the AVC.

Ted

Jon Watte

Dec 2, 2016, 11:52:00 AM12/2/16
to diyrovers
The Omistar cost is not in the equipment, but in the subscription :-)
They got a sponsorship, though:

Sincerely,

jw

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson