My Classic AVC Bot Maxx

jesse brockmann

Aug 8, 2016, 11:55:44 AM8/8/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Guys,
   AVC is only 40 days away.  Are you going to be ready?

I'm getting pretty close with my classic bot.  Here is the latest test run from yesterday.    I've got some work to do on the turns, but it's going well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFFE-_2qpkQ

JesseJay

Minuteman

Aug 10, 2016, 11:08:55 AM8/10/16
to diyrovers
Looks like your bot is running well--it hit the cones spot-on. Is that dead-reckoning or GPS?

I haven't dusted off minuteman yet, because I don't think I'll change much. For the APRC, the steering and ESC are working. I just need to connect the control system, which will be similar to minuteman.

jesse brockmann

Aug 10, 2016, 12:38:51 PM8/10/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
It's dead reckoning, just like last year.  I've got a GPS for my A+PRS entry, but I'm waiting to hear on the points system for A+PRS as they are talking about bonus for not using GPS.   If I don't use GPS, my A+PRS entry will have the same setup as Maxx.

JesseJay

Minuteman

jesse brockmann

Aug 10, 2016, 1:20:03 PM8/10/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Really, there's not secret there.    I basically zero out the gyro, and set the initial offset based of the heading from the starting point to the first waypoint, which in case of the classic AVC course is 310 degrees.   I've tried using the compass in the BNO-055 but I've found it's less reliable.
   I've considering using a similar setup to you, and find the waypoints by doing a manual drive. However using a map and setting waypoints on the map has been working well.   I think it also allows me tweak the path easier.

BTW, if you do under 10 lbs, and A+PRS we might be competing against each other in two classes!

JesseJay

Ted Meyers

Aug 10, 2016, 2:46:38 PM8/10/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
I think he may have been asking how you determine what your initial heading actually is (when you don't have a compass)?  Or do you just assume that it is 310 degrees, regardless of what it actually may be?

Wait, JRover Maxx is under 10 lbs?

Ted Meyers

Aug 10, 2016, 2:53:07 PM8/10/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I realize that may not have been clear, so I will try again.  How do you know which direction the gyro is pointed when you zero it out?

Minuteman

Aug 10, 2016, 2:55:24 PM8/10/16
to diyrovers
Yeah, thanks for the clarification. Do you just point the bot straight ahead, eyeballing it, and assume that it's 310? Thanks.

jesse brockmann

Aug 10, 2016, 3:40:02 PM8/10/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com

That is correct.  Eyeball it.  Put both rear wheels on the front of the starting line.  So long as it doesn't move it should be consistent.  Even if it's a bit off I can adjust the route.  I might do more testing with the compass to see how consistent it is.  When you see any of my testing you see I always use some marks/seams to start the same.

Minuteman

Aug 10, 2016, 4:36:41 PM8/10/16
to diyrovers
Ah, OK. That's similar to what I'm doing, then. In 2011 (my first year)  I used a rifle scope pointed at a distant landmark to set my initial angle. I figured, how could that go wrong? Then a food truck parked in front of my landmark and I had no way of referencing my original course.

One year the starting line was fairly light weight and would move around. I worried that it could move enough to affect my initial angle. That doesn't seem to be a problem lately.