Demise of 3D Robotics

Minuteman

Oct 18, 2016, 7:36:03 AM10/18/16
to diyrovers
It looks like 3D Robotics isn't faring so well according to this article in Forbes. I remember chatting with Chis and Jordi a number of times at AVC. For all those who have thought about turning their side hobby of autonomous vehicles into a money-making venture, this isn't an inspiring story. I hope they can turn the corner.

Ted Meyers

Oct 18, 2016, 10:20:23 AM10/18/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I'm sorry to hear that, but not surprised. I've had some experience with one of their drones (the X8), and had significant problems with it (although, to be fair, part of that may have been because it was obtained second hand).  Other than that, I really like the company; they've done a lot for the hobby, and I met Chris at the AVC, and he is a great guy.  Hoping DiyDrones stays around.

Ted

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 5:36 AM, Minuteman <nathan....@gmail.com> wrote:
It looks like 3D Robotics isn't faring so well according to this article in Forbes. I remember chatting with Chis and Jordi a number of times at AVC. For all those who have thought about turning their side hobby of autonomous vehicles into a money-making venture, this isn't an inspiring story. I hope they can turn the corner.

jesse brockmann

Oct 18, 2016, 10:47:37 AM10/18/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
I've heard they are not doing well.  I recently bought a 3DR Solo because they are selling them at Best Buy for a ridiculously low cost.   I knew about the possible loss of support/warranty but I was willing to take the risk.

Hopefully they will find some way to come back, but it seems unlikely.

JesseJay

Ted Meyers

Oct 18, 2016, 12:30:55 PM10/18/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I had seen that the Solo is really discounted.  Below $500, depending on what options you get.  That for a drone that reportedly cost them around $800 just to manufacture.  Does seem like a great buy.

jesse brockmann

Oct 18, 2016, 12:34:00 PM10/18/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com

$400 with gimbal, extra battery and extra props is an awesome deal.  I've flown my 6 times and love it.

Jon Watte

Oct 18, 2016, 1:14:03 PM10/18/16
to diyrovers
$400 with gimbal, extra battery and extra props is an awesome deal.  I've flown my 6 times and love it.

Do you have a comparison to a DJI Phantom? That seems to be the one to beat in this area.

But you know what they say: To create a million-dollar robotics company, start with a billion-dollar investment!

Sincerely,

jw

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson