Some AVC rules up

jesse brockmann

Mar 18, 2016, 4:28:47 PM3/18/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com

Checkout avc.sparkfun.com     they are changing the rules, and my bot will no longer qualify.  And for the classic AVC they show a picture of my bot! Kick me while I'm down!! :(

Michael Stephens

Mar 18, 2016, 4:38:44 PM3/18/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
What makes your bot not qualify? + 10 lbs?

Michael Stephens

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 2:28 PM, jesse brockmann <jjbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Checkout avc.sparkfun.com     they are changing the rules, and my bot will no longer qualify.  And for the classic AVC they show a picture of my bot! Kick me while I'm down!! :(

jesse brockmann

Mar 18, 2016, 4:46:39 PM3/18/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com

Yeap, 23 to 25 pounds.  It was designed for the doping class.  Already invested in new batteries and other upgrades.  Cannot meet the autonomous powerwheels rules as far as I know.   Have to decide which route to go.

Jon Watte

Mar 18, 2016, 8:03:14 PM3/18/16
to diyrovers
Let's add a race event to next year's Robogames?

Or buy a $39 Radio Shack special and start over :-)

Sincerely,

jw

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Roell

Mar 19, 2016, 12:02:22 PM3/19/16
to diyrovers
Should we suggest a Robo Maggelan type event to the AVC organizers ?

- Thomas

Jon Watte

Mar 19, 2016, 2:33:34 PM3/19/16
to diyrovers
Should we suggest a Robo Maggelan type event to the AVC organizers ?

That would be friggin' awesome :-)

Also: Do the full rule links 404 for everyone else, too?

Sincerely,

jw

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson

jesse brockmann

Mar 19, 2016, 2:41:23 PM3/19/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com

The full rules should be out on Monday.   I really think they are trying to do too much with AVC now.  Classic AVC, robot battles, powerwheels and autonomous powerwheels?   They should split the events up.

Jon Watte

Mar 19, 2016, 9:26:03 PM3/19/16
to diyrovers
I really think they are trying to do too much with AVC now.

Maybe they're trying to compete with Maker Faire and RoboGames? :-)

Sincerely,

jw

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Ted Meyers

Mar 20, 2016, 10:51:10 PM3/20/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Arghh!  I'm out of commission over the weekend and apparently I missed a sneak peek at the rules.  Sounds like the doping class is no more (& a 10 lb weight limit)?   Darn, I was planning on being in the doping class this year!  At least I can back off to just under 10 lbs, unless the rules make some other class more interesting.

Are there still micro/pelaton/non-traditional classes?  It sounds like there is an autonomous power racers class -- how is this different than a doping class?

Ted Meyers

Mar 20, 2016, 11:00:26 PM3/20/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Found the cached page -- thank you google!  There is no undo button on the internet!!!

Interesting changes: a much smaller course?  Right and Left turns?  Non-rectangular?  Ay-yeah, this is not the same AVC!  Doesn't sound like they have class divisions anymore.

I actually like that they are mixing things up a bit!

Ted

jesse brockmann

Mar 21, 2016, 11:02:37 AM3/21/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com

Ted Meyers

Mar 21, 2016, 11:04:22 AM3/21/16
to diyrovers
Good News!  A close inspection of the newly posted rules show that classic AVC bots up to 25 lbs ARE allowed!  Just keep it under 25 Jesse!

It also looks like the classic AVC is not so "classic" -- massive changes have gone into effect.  The autonomous Power Racing Series looks like the place to be now, but I might try to do both.

Ted

Michael Shimniok

Mar 21, 2016, 1:27:48 PM3/21/16
to diyrovers

Will check rules later but non square sounds great. Real challenge, I would think.

Main diff with power wheels? Apparently you can be a passenger. Lugging my 210lbs carcass around wouldn't be great for speed but it'd be a total riot! :)

I'm cool with multiple events. They lost the aircraft so it'll be nice to have different things for people to watch instead.

If we can get openmv cams shipped in April (we are taking pre-orders, BTW) and if I can get some fixes on the jeep done for wheeling season, maybe I can do AVC this year! Hmmm

Jon Watte

Mar 21, 2016, 1:38:57 PM3/21/16
to diyrovers
The Jeep is totally "All entries must look like an actual child’s ride-on toy, or else be otherwise so awesome that we don’t care"

It does disqualify based on size rules, though :-)

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Ted Meyers

Mar 21, 2016, 1:42:44 PM3/21/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
That and I don't think it would actually FIT on the course.  But it does look a little like a kids ride on toy!

Jon Watte

Mar 21, 2016, 1:49:10 PM3/21/16
to diyrovers
48V, 30A fuse.

Liquid Nitrogen cooling (of the fuse), anyone?

Sincerely,

jw

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Minuteman

Mar 21, 2016, 3:24:54 PM3/21/16
to diyrovers
I'm guessing that classic AVC will still have the largest participation, by-far, because: 1. So many people already have working bots.  2. The barrier for entry is much lower. (cost, equipment)  3. Power wheels is only an option for people within a reasonable driving distance.

OTOH, I think the power wheels will draw most of the spectators. Also there may be a large draw from people already doing the PW stuff--maybe the community is large. Who knows?

For classic AVC, a smaller course will require better positional accuracy, I think. Should be interesting.

Thomas Roell

Mar 21, 2016, 4:04:30 PM3/21/16
to diyrovers
I kind of like the non-square idea. But IMHO the rest is really junk. What's the point of adding go-kart type racing ? If I wanna see this I head over to a real race-track. Battlebots might be interesting, just not my thing.

AVC kind of lost it's charm since 2014 ...

- Thomas

Michael Stephens

Mar 21, 2016, 4:16:50 PM3/21/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com

Is it just me or is Sparkfun leaning a bit towards “don’t put any new development into AVC” Classic AVC: You want to –>reuse<– an autonomous car from a previous AVC? Go for it. There will be a 25-pound limit.

I’ve never entered before but I’ve been tinkering with an entry for a long time. I’d like to stay classic because transporting a power wheels doesn’t work with my current vehicle situation. However, if classic is going to get dropped in future years I guess I should just commit…..

  • You should enter! It’s a huge but wonderful challenge.

    We want to change and push AVC every year and reverse compatibility between years will be an ongoing challenge. We also want to avoid making it logistically or financially challenging. A tricky balance for us but that that doesn’t answer your question. In future years I foresee the human carrier challenge increasing and the smaller R/C sized challenge getting less attention.

Michael Stephens

Ted Meyers

Mar 21, 2016, 4:42:13 PM3/21/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
I'm totally with you on this.  Skip the go-karts, unless they are autonomous.  The battlebots would be a more interesting if they were autonomous.  Sparkfun is not a go-kart or RC company; they are a company that sells electronics and robotics stuff; I wish that they would stick to that.

Still, the non-square course and larger vehicles does make it a lot more interesting; to watch and to participate in.

Ted

Thomas Roell

Mar 21, 2016, 5:55:53 PM3/21/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Larger Vehicles, different course. But if you have to add, add a Robo Magellan type event.

The sad part is that moving is this direction they are going most likely will be a flop. I am not sure the event can recover.

The competition over the years has been carried by geeks and nerds from all over the country as a venue to vent their creative power. Those type of folks will simply leave and look somewhere else.

- Thomas