New 9-Axis Fusion Module from Microchip

wholder

Jan 12, 2016, 5:42:59 PM1/12/16
to diyrovers
Available from DigiKey for $24, quantity 1:

Based on the Bosch BMC150 Geomagnetic Sensor/Accelerometer and Bosch BMG160 Gyroscope, but using a Microchip SSC7150 Motion Coprocessor for sensor fusion:

  • Self-contained 9-axis sensor fusion
  • Sensor data pass-through
  • Fast in-use background calibration of all sensors and calibration monitor
  • Magnetic immunity: Enhanced magnetic distortion, detection and suppression
  • Gyroscope drift cancellation
  • Fully calibrated
The data sheet claims that user calibration is not required.

There's also a breakout module available for $50:

Wayne

Jon Watte

Jan 13, 2016, 12:18:29 AM1/13/16
to diyrovers
Nice!

3213 bytes of descriptors over 400 MHz I2C might take ... a while ... to fetch :-)
But you only need to do it once.
And it makes USB integration very easy!

Sincerely,

jw

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Matthew Mucker

Jan 13, 2016, 10:06:49 AM1/13/16
to diyrovers
If you've got an I2C bus that goes at 400MHz, I want to see it!  :)

But even at 400kHz, 3213 bytes * 8 bits/byte = 25 kilobits, give or take. At 100kHz that's a quarter of a second, at 400kHz, it's a quarter of that. Is my math wrong?

Jon Watte

Jan 13, 2016, 11:24:32 AM1/13/16
to diyrovers
Yeah, kHz :-)

Depending on the speed of your controller, the throughput may be less than the max bit rate, but 100 ms is about the right range, yes.
To me, that's an ETERNITY.
I think that comes from having done audio/video drivers in a past life, where anything that monopolized any resource (bus/ram/IRQ/CPU/whatever) was a scourge to be purged with fire.
If you only read it once on start-up, the user won't notice :-)

I also see that their sensor fusion provides orientation but not relative movement/position. Makes sense for fitbit-type applications, somewhat sad for us rover-ites.

Sincerely,

jw

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson