Facebook Group

jesse brockmann

Dec 11, 2016, 7:47:49 PM12/11/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Guys,
 I decided to start a facebook group of the same name..  Please join, and post some photos, and other details of your rovers.

Thanks,
JesseJay

jesse brockmann

Dec 11, 2016, 8:03:00 PM12/11/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.
JesseJay

Jon Watte

Dec 11, 2016, 8:07:39 PM12/11/16
to diyrovers
meh, I don't facebook and don't want to start

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson

googlegroups

Dec 12, 2016, 12:33:12 AM12/12/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
<old-fart-pissin-n-moanin>

Yeah, gotta second that.  I tried facebook years ago, and even though I went through the convoluted process of finding all the places to click and adjust security and settings and such, and believing that I had it pretty locked down, I subsequently clicked on a link a buddy of mine sent me, which fired off an app of some sort, which then sent a naughty picture to everyone in my "friends" list, including my wife and teenage daughter.  F-me.

I deleted my facebook account the next day and have never looked back.  What an abysmal bit of shitty programming.  In fact, I started to get sucked into the facebook mindset of checking and updating every day, trying to post interesting stuff I was doing to impress people (most of whom I really didn't give a crap about anyway), and it was really nice to get that 30+ minutes a day back after deleting the account :)

So I do not do farcebook, or twatter, or instagag.  But I still email, and have since, umm, I think the late 80's (that will date me, but to be fair I learned Fortran on a punched-card Hollerith system).  However, I did set up a linkedin page (which I also think is stupid), but I may need to get another job someday, so what the heck, maybe there will be a contact or two with whom to to check.

To quote a recent/sorta/disinterested/maybe Nobel winner: "the times they are a changin."  You young folks have set yourself up such that if you want to stay competitive you need to run on a hamster wheel that just incrementally goes faster (and never slows down when you have "made it there").  You are never quite "there" and are always playing catch-up.  Wow, makes me glad that I will be dead in twenty years.  Run faster, young engineer.  You are too slow.  Faster.  Faster...oops, too late.  The world has moved on (and the robots are in charge) :)
</old-fart-pissin-n-moanin>

Jon Watte

Dec 12, 2016, 11:50:14 AM12/12/16
to diyrovers
I'm not as worried about the privacy bit, but the "trying to impress people I don't even know" bit and "wasting time reading about someone's lunch" bit keep me away.

Sincerely,

jw

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Ted Meyers

Dec 12, 2016, 12:45:38 PM12/12/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I'm on the "Say no to facebook" side also.  To me, social interaction is a valuable commodity that I don't care to spend willy-nilly (I only have so much capacity for it).  The thought of having to deal with a bunch of random people wanting to "friend" me, and getting their feelings hurt when I ignore them is reason enough to stay off facebook.  Not to mention all the privacy and political crap that I hear about it.

I don't know, maybe if I could make an anonymous or fake account, but I think that eventually they would all track me down.

Michael Shimniok

Dec 12, 2016, 5:27:06 PM12/12/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com

Jeez! Lol. Ya know... Nobody said joining the FB group was mandatory... :D

I know some of us are crotchety ol' curmudgeons, me included. Heck, I grump about smart watches while my vintage automatic winds itself from all my arm waving. But let's not get ourselves all worked up. ;)

I hear'd tell at bingo this week that this new fangled FB thing is starting to get popular with the youngsters so maybe this is a way communicate with those into rovers. The rest of us can go back to reading Usenet on our VT100's...

Jon Watte

Dec 12, 2016, 5:44:17 PM12/12/16
to diyrovers
Wow, you have a VT-100? My ADM3A needed a vacuuming a few years ago, but otherwise it's doing great!

PS: Why do you need to know what time it is?

Sincerely,

jw

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson

googlegroups

Dec 13, 2016, 12:08:44 AM12/13/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Automatic-winding watch -- sheesh, I had one in the 70s, just before I got one of the first "led" watches (that would probably have been the apple watch of the day).

...bingo...vt100...  ROTFLMAO!  funny stuff!

I spent my share of time coding on a VT-100 (and -52).  I always liked the white-phosphor screen better than the green of the Lear (though I did like the Lear flip-top to get to the DIP-switches).  Amber phosphor make a splash for a couple of years too, then faded.

I remember writing a lot of code on 8051 micros of the day, to use vt-100 escape sequences for menu systems and such.  When vt-100 terminal emulator programs became common on PCs, it was even better.  Embedded coding heaven in the 80s.

So, there were Lear terminals, Lear jets, and Lear (4-track then) 8-track tape players --were those different companies?

My 66 Mustang had an 8-track deck -- usually had Deep Purple Machine Head in it.  Built three different engines for that car, topping out at a 3/4-race cam that would hardly idle.

But I digress,

Gil

Ted Meyers

Dec 13, 2016, 10:05:53 AM12/13/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Loved the VT-100, but they were already starting to go away when I started coding.  But it was fun to learn the escape codes.  I especially enjoyed discovering the code that would lock up the terminal -- and sending it to my friends terminals; hehehe.