Fwd: Re: [PPPRS] Questions about the $500 budget for a A+PRS

jesse brockmann

Apr 22, 2016, 10:01:05 AM4/22/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com

For those interested in A+PRS.   The $500 budget isn't as bad as I thought...

Apr 22, 2016, 1:14:58 PM4/22/16
to diyrovers
Also, the autonomous parts are not part of the budget.
So, motor controllers, not budget!

Sincerely,

jw

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Ted Meyers

Apr 22, 2016, 4:42:54 PM4/22/16
to diyrovers
Yep, from my understanding, basically, only the non-original drive battery, motors, wheels, and frame count toward the budget.  Just about everything else can be argued as part of the autonomous system.   You would have to really go all out to get up to that $500 budget.  Especially if you are re-using a lot of the original parts!

Ted Meyers

May 9, 2016, 12:42:40 AM5/9/16
to diyrovers
Now that I'm deep into building an A+PRS entry, I decided that it was time to actually read the rules.

The rules start out as follows: "The following rules are a subset of the official PRS rules and only apply to autonomous competitors."

Arghh, I'm confused already.  Does this mean that _all_ the PRS rules apply to A+PRS (unless otherwise noted in the subset)?  Or do just the following rules apply to A+PRS (and they just happen to be a subset?  The second interpretation makes more sense to me; for example, PRS goes into great detail on brake requirements and specifically states that there must be mechanical brakes.  The A+PRS rules just happen to mention that motor brakes may be used.  That seems reasonable on an autonomous vehicle this size.  Also, the safety check list in the A+PRS rules only lists the items in the subset.  At some points the subset refers to sections in the full rules, so obviously those sections do apply (like the "So awesome we don't care" rule).

The subset of rules is much easier to build against, and seems to be more in the spirit of how Sparkfun rolls.  I'll be a bit surprised if the tech inspection includes more than: "Hey nice build, did ya follow all the rules?  Yeah.  Okay great, you pass".  But then again, they did put a tech inspection checklist in the rules.

I'm really hoping that I don't have to have a team volunteer, numbers on the vehicle, bumpers 4-6 inches from the ground (not a bad idea though), mechanical brakes , and everything else that make it sound like a formula 1 specification list.

jesse brockmann

May 9, 2016, 1:12:23 AM5/9/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com

Well there is a Google group for PRS, as well as a FB group. (Invite group, power wheels racers for adults).   But I'm assuming no bumper, or brakes.  But I plan to have a functional mechinal brake on mine. :)
  Made good progress.  Got steering working and drive motor too.  Just need to get it put back together, and start testing.  Once I do I'll post details.

JesseJay