Scanning Lidar

jesse brockmann

Mar 16, 2016, 7:24:56 PM3/16/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
So, this is project I started to work on

It's a scanning lidar unit using a LidarLite V2.    Once I found out the lidarlite v2 was discontinued I put it on hold, to focus on getting my rover working.  I was concerned that I couldn't get another lidarlite.  Once my rover is working, and I'm testing I planned to work on this Lidar unit again.      As you can see, I made decent progress.  I've got the stepper controller, and planned on using a Teensy v3.2 to drive it, so it would have a USB output and this would also provide power.  Hopefully Garmin will get a new lidarlite out there soon, and at a reasonable price.

I've know for sometime something like this could be big.   I've now seen three other similar sensors.   The first is R2D Lidar which uses a TeraRanger.  The main issues with this is 5 meter range, and won't work well outside.   Next is the SF40-C from Lightware.   This is actually a very impressive sensor, able to see out to 100meters, and 36635 samples per second at 5 rotations per second!   The only flaw I see, is it's not yet available.. and the price at $919 is alot. Today on DIYDrones I saw a new kickstarter project Sweep.   This looks like it will have most of the features I'm looking for, and at the current price of $245 seems like a very reasonable price.  But won't be available till late this year, and it's not a product yet, so always risks involved with a kickstarter.

Another different type of technology I've keeping my eyes on is the Walabot.  It's a MIMO radar unit.  The problems here are many.  It's right now new technology, only currently have android and windows API.    There are also very few details about the actual capability, and range.   So far I haven't gotten much data from the questions I asked.

What do you think?  Is there anything else out there?  Any big ideas?   For me, the decawave setup Wayne is working on looks very promising.

JesseJay

Jon Watte

Mar 16, 2016, 8:42:20 PM3/16/16
to diyrovers
Sweep: Outdoors sounds good! 500 samples/second, not as much. At 2 Hz, 250 samples per revolution has a separation of one meter per sample at the stated range of 40 meters.
If they can kick up the sample speed 10x, it seems like they'll have a real winner, though! But maybe the sensor they're using can't do that.

The SF40/C, at 35,000 samples per second, at 4.5 Hz (so over 7,000 samples per revolution) sounds much better! (They also claim 100 meters, but I don't need to see that far ...)

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Message has been deleted

Ted Meyers

Mar 16, 2016, 9:24:13 PM3/16/16
to diyrovers
Ah, that is really too bad that the LidarLite is gone; it looked like it had potential.  I've been really disappointed by the continuing lack of products in this area.  The Sweep looks interesting, but I'll wait until it is an actual product -- I've been bit too many times by Kickstarters (not blaming anyone, its that it just rarely works out in a timely manner, and as expected).  None of the other products that you mentioned look that great to me.

Check out http://acroname.com, they have a lot of laser rangers (most very pricey though).  The TeraRanger looks interesting:https://acroname.com/store/r387-tr-one?sku=R387-TR-ONE at only $150 it is relatively cheap and has great stats.  I'm not sure about IR TOF outdoors, but I did find some evidence that people have used ithe TeraRanger with Pixhawks on copters.

jesse brockmann

Mar 16, 2016, 9:27:46 PM3/16/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com

They are working on a new version 2 that will have at least 11m range outside.  That sounds like it might work.   Especially if they can keep the 1000hz sampling.

Ah, that is really too bad that the LidarLite is gone; it looked like it had potential.  I've been really disappointed by the continuing lack of products in this area.  The Sweep looks interesting, but I'll wait until it is an actual product -- I've been bit too many times by Kickstarters (not blaming anyone, its that it just rarely works out in a timely manner, and as expected).  None of the other products that you mentioned look that great to me.

Check out http://acroname.com, they have a lot of laser rangers (most very pricey though).  The TeraRanger looks interesting: https://acroname.com/store/r387-tr-one?sku=R387-TR-ONE at only $150 it is relatively cheap and has great stats.  I'm not sure about IR TOF outdoors, but I did find some evidence that people have used it with Pixhawks on copters.

Ted Meyers

Mar 16, 2016, 9:47:17 PM3/16/16
to diyrovers
Wait, which lidar?  LidarLite V2 has a 40m range and 1000hz.  TeraRanger One already has a 14m range outside and 1000hz.  (I think).

jesse brockmann

Mar 16, 2016, 9:53:03 PM3/16/16
to diyr...@googlegroups.com

Sorry.  Teraranger working on v2 that will do 11m I'm full sun.  V1 is more like 5m in full sun from what I've heard.  It's much less powerful light then the lidarlite which makes it more eye safe but causes issues in full sun.

The lidarlite v2 does 40m at 500hz, unless I missed something.

Ted Meyers

Mar 16, 2016, 9:58:14 PM3/16/16
to diyrovers
Ah, yes those numbers are correct; I got my numbers mixed up.

wholder

Mar 22, 2016, 2:59:05 AM3/22/16
to diyrovers
It looks like the Lidar Lite may live on.   See the FAQ section of this Kickstarter:

Wayne