Firgelli LAC

Ted Meyers

Aug 27, 2017, 5:26:43 PM8/27/17
to diyrovers
Anyone else use the Firgelli Linear Actuator Control board?  Mine seems to brown out when it gets too hot out.  I haven't confirmed that this is the problem, but it is my best guess.  I might just replace it with something else, don't know what yet, but I haven't been impressed with the LAC, it seems to have a lot of issues.

jesse brockmann

Aug 27, 2017, 5:33:39 PM8/27/17
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
I had issues with mine as well last year. What actuator and voltage you using?   It seemed to have current limiter or something.  Only way to reset was to turn on/off.   Have you looked at the app to program it yet to see the options?

JesseJay

On Aug 27, 2017 4:26 PM, "Ted Meyers" <ted.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
Anyone else use the Firgelli Linear Actuator Control board?  Mine seems to brown out when it gets too hot out.  I haven't confirmed that this is the problem, but it is my best guess.  I might just replace it with something else, don't know what yet, but I haven't been impressed with the LAC, it seems to have a lot of issues.

Ted Meyers

Ted Meyers

Aug 27, 2017, 7:35:13 PM8/27/17
to diyrovers
Update:

I removed the ServoCity actuator from the steering assembly, and now it works.  best guess is that it was binding somewhere and that was causing my problems.  I guess I'll take another look at the steering and see if I can find anything that might be binding.  The other option is to just use the more powerful (but slower servo).

I'm also guessing that the regulator is just going to get hot because it is dropping 24V to 5V (or 3.3V -- whichever).

Jon Watte

Aug 28, 2017, 11:35:16 AM8/28/17
to diyrovers
For what it's worth, the RoboClaw controllers can be used with potentiometer feedback (in addition to encoders, and limit switches.)
They speak a serial protocol, something which I tend to prefer over PWM.
Each one also drives two channels (two motor outputs, two feedback inputs, etc.)
If the Firgelli already works for you (after fixes) then no need to change, but if it ends up not working, that might be an option. I've used the 7A and 30A versions.

Sincerely,

jw

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Ted Meyers

Aug 31, 2017, 12:30:02 AM8/31/17
to diyrovers
Aha, good to know.  I've heard that those are really well built controllers.  Didn't know they had so many feedback options.  They are a bit pricey, but I'm sure they are well worth it.

Ted

Jon Watte

Aug 31, 2017, 12:38:05 PM8/31/17
to diyrovers
If you think RoboClaws are "pricey," you should not check out the Roboteq site :-)

Note that "pricey" is in relation to cheap Chinese knock-offs. And, for things that are simple, cheap back-of-a-truck manufacturing might be just fine. For example, most (but not all) cheap DC/DC converters do convert to the stated voltage without more than, say, 5% ripple.
When it comes to more complex things, it ends up being useful to actually have support in a language you can understand, by people who are looking for repeat business. I find that Ion MC (the current name of the RoboClaw makers) actually do answer questions on their forums within a business day, and are genuinely helpful in fixing problems.
I once had to send back three controllers for re-work because of a design problem (several years back, that controller isn't made anymore) and they covered the work and return shipping for free, and the process of getting to that resolution was based on then trusting that, in fact, I knew what I was doing. Compared to many other sellers, I rate the Ion people highly!

Sincerely,

jw

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -- Thomas Jefferson

jesse brockmann

Aug 31, 2017, 12:48:41 PM8/31/17
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Pololu also has the simple motor controller which is similar price to the LAC and other options to consider.

Ted Meyers

Aug 31, 2017, 3:06:11 PM8/31/17
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that is a good controller.  I have used it in the past.   Sadly it does not have built in feedback control (or does it?).  Not that the code to do that would be hard to write, just added complexity.  What I want is something I can just plug an RC Rx into for quick and easy testing.

jesse brockmann

Aug 31, 2017, 3:08:59 PM8/31/17
to diyr...@googlegroups.com
It says it has potentiometer support, but I've never tried to use it.