DIY stem cell extraction from teeth's pulp

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Jul 11, 2014, 8:59:12 AM7/11/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I was wondering whether anyone knows a good method how to get CD105+ stem cells from wisdom teeth pulp in a diy setting... Like described in here   "Complete Pulp Regeneration After Pulpectomy by Transplantation of CD105+  Stem Cells with Stromal Cell-Derived Factor-1" (I can send the paper to anyone interested).
Short version: IN dental pulp there are stem cells which can be used to re-grow nerves, blood vessels, etc.

I know, concerns have been told about breeding viruses in a diy setting. But after like 10 divisions, how many viruses can be bred?  Btw, (off-topic) noone ever had the idea to transfect mammalian cells with crispr which kills all the viruses?
Note my disclaimer, I don't want to engineer them, just purify them and have them grow for a few cell divisions.

Nathan McCorkle

Jul 11, 2014, 3:21:08 PM7/11/14
to diybio

I think you'll at least need some serum, or look into serum-free media. I thought about trying a diy cell culture of pig heart when my farmer next sells a pig for meat. That way I could centrifuge some blood for serum, then filter it, and try to come up with suitable drug-store replacement ingredients for the salts/ions/vitamins/carbs etc.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/f7b64f78-d7b7-4a68-bab9-5b8c15fb7c86%40googlegroups.com.

Nathan McCorkle

Jul 11, 2014, 3:27:07 PM7/11/14
to diybio

Viruses basically fill up the internals of a cell so much that the cell bursts (if the virus isn't dormant) so there will be a ton of virus particles.

Best to try doing any of that work in a laminar flow hood, but if not, make sure you don't prick yourself during work, always wash your hands and arms after work, don't atomize or spill culture, maybe even wear a face mask that deals completely around your face (this will help keep you and the culture clean).

Andreas Stuermer

Jul 12, 2014, 6:13:56 AM7/12/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Btw, by adding zinc to the medium some viruses are severely inhibited or cannot attach to the cells surface.

Is there a way to get CD105+ cells without an expensive FACS?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Andreas Stuermer

Jul 12, 2014, 6:15:48 AM7/12/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com