Question

Lauren C

Jun 18, 2018, 1:06:05 PM6/18/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Has any of you created a diy bio lab in your garage or a spare room?

Dennis Oleksyuk

Jun 18, 2018, 1:30:49 PM6/18/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Our entire lab is on the second floor of the disconnected garage building.

The only real challenge for us is keeping the temperature inside of the building at the comfortable level and so that freezers don't need to work too hard. Other than that it is fine.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/CAKPKPcqmb69XJ5NNwCJLxPA0DsD_GHX_bJFqDNosqhtyLgND5A%40mail.gmail.com.

IsInstantLife

Jun 18, 2018, 1:39:09 PM6/18/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com
My lab is in an awkward spare space in my finished basement. Its in a 5x10 grow tent so dog hair and dust doesnt get in and so I can have the lights on in the lab and not let various things out.

Andreas "Mega" Stuermer

Jun 19, 2018, 7:29:20 AM6/19/18
to DIYbio
Define lab.

Sure, got some equipment for protein chromatography and gel electrophoresis, but here many experiments would be illegal in Europe because GMO, so European people will rather have a deal with a local institution (museum, University, ...) or a community lab

Koeng

Jun 20, 2018, 1:29:29 PM6/20/18
to DIYbio
Yes.

Cabalen sciences

Aug 2, 2018, 7:53:54 AM8/2/18
to DIYbio
I shared a spot in an existing makerspace to do my projects.

Nathan McCorkle

Aug 2, 2018, 1:13:09 PM8/2/18
to diybio
In high-school my lab was my home kitchen, and maybe a table and
corner in my bedroom. Now I've got a small area in our laundry room...
ideally you'd have a room isolated so you don't have to worry as much
about dust (as others have commented). Not only for while you're
performing experiments... but even just leaving for a month and coming
back, you may have dust settling on your table surfaces, tools, etc. I
really want to upgrade my lab shelving to have glass doors on the
front, so I can still see inside, but that stuff is protected from
dust.
On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 10:06 AM Lauren C <tattere...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has any of you created a diy bio lab in your garage or a spare room?
>
> --
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
> Learn more at www.diybio.org
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/CAKPKPcqmb69XJ5NNwCJLxPA0DsD_GHX_bJFqDNosqhtyLgND5A%40mail.gmail.com.

-Nathan

John Griessen

Aug 2, 2018, 5:08:58 PM8/2/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On 08/02/2018 12:12 PM, Nathan McCorkle wrote:
> really want to upgrade my lab shelving to have glass doors on the
> front, so I can still see inside, but that stuff is protected from
> dust.

Occasionally I see cabinets and such for sale as vintage industrial
for high prices. Brands like Boekel. They make a cube that is about one foot on a side
that goes for $175 each used. They have gasketed doors to be airtight, and sides are glass too.

https://alt-model-images.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/full-version-images/2018-03-30140212%2B00003.jpg

I think I might go into the lab furniture business! Supplying
cabinets that ship flat with "some assembly required" to be sealed
like the flow benches I am planning would be a good side item to sell.
Maybe I can think of a lower cost way to get that aquarium look.

I've found that I can make a particle counter instrument to
send along with a flow bench or cabinet kit to test the seams with
and the counter could sell for $20, so that idea is percolating along...

Nathan McCorkle

Aug 2, 2018, 6:54:52 PM8/2/18
to diybio
On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 2:08 PM John Griessen <jo...@industromatic.com> wrote:
> Occasionally I see cabinets and such for sale as vintage industrial
> for high prices. Brands like Boekel.

Well nothing in my area on craigslist anyway... but a search I did
just after that turned up some ikea furniture that had been
discontinued, so I searched 'glass door' on ikea.com and they have a
few options for doors with clear glass for $20 to $35 each... which
isn't terrible depending on the quality (i.e. real wood frame versus
particle board). That is, if their dimensions fit existing shelve
people may have (or design their shelves around such existing doors...
something I did not the last time I built a workbench with shelves
underneath).